Early Morning Wakeup

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand

Reaction score
My wife and I traded one of our show feeder heifers for a nice heifer and a plain jane steer, this was last weekend. Obviously the steer must have been just weaned when he came to our place because for three days non stop bellering. Fast forward to last night, or should I say VERY early this morning, about 2:30 am. I was sleeping and then just wide awake, that stupid steer was bellering again and it sounded like it was right outside the bedroom window, which wouldn't be good because it's on the second story. Any how, I laid there and he bellered again. I jumped out of bed through some jeans and a shirt on and ran downstairs, grabbed the flashlight and tenny runners and ran out to the pens. He was just standing by the gate bellering his little heart out for no good apparent reason. It has been my long standing belief that cattle don't make too much noise unless something is wrong. I figured this little guy was out, but all was well except for loosing a little sleep.

Good to hear he was still where he was supposed to be... Maybe he was lonley and needed you for company?? :D You could look into a muffler for him.

I don't know what his problem is. He is in with a heifer and right beside him there is a pen with a gelding and stallion in it. He has plenty of friends, he just might like to be noisy.

I would have understood if it was closer to feeding time, but 2:30 in the morning is ridiculous! The other weaned calves don't usually start getting cranky until about 5 a.m. when we morning feed. Maybe he just felt like being heard.

We unknowingly bought an unweaned heifer at a sale one year. We put her in with some of our heifers of the same age, but that had been weaned for several weeks. She walked the fence and bawled for a week, then calmed down. We moved them across the fence into the adjoining pasture and she walked those fences for another week and bawled! She made a good cow, though. In fact, she and one of her calves are the screen saver on the old computer. Traveler 71 cow.

We've got a few shut up in the corral weaning now. They're about bawled out though. Thank goodness.

Since we're on the subject, we bought some supposably weaned calves that were "used to electric wire". We no sooner opened the trailer door, they shot out of the trailer ran straight through 3 strands of wire and kept going. We chased two of them all day and finally got them into a neighbors drylot. Needless to say when they came back home we had a nice little "secure" area for them. CRAZY... but lesson learned.

He's finally calmed down. He's in with a heifer we got from the same place and now when you go into the barn they will step into their hay feeder and stick their heads under the keeper board and stare, waiting for their share. This afternoon I'll put them in with our other calves since their quarantine time is up making chores a little easier.

Latest posts