early calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
Barometer drops and bad things happen...storm moved in and then....
Just may loose my first live born calf, but won't give up easily!
Big Angus cow calved last Dec 30th...bull running with cows so no idea of exact breeding date but was thinking 45 days later. This afternoon I noticed the cow with afterbirth hanging...went and found a cleaned little heifer cold and just barely hanging on so I brought her into the barn. Fresh straw, warn towels and heat lamps.
Gave her 1/2 cc each of Se & E and A & D and did get about a pint of replacer in her, no colostrun in the freezer and the cow isn't in full bag besides milking her would be a real rodeo. Still to weak to barely move so it will be a long road to get her up and going. Expect to spend the night in the barn on calf watch, even though there is not much I can do at this point. Figure that she is four to six weeks early so the deck is stacked against her, the cow just started bagging up and showed no signs of labor this morning. Calf is fully formed but teeth are not present and is pretty scrawney all of about 45 or 50 leggy pounds of her.
Never lost a live born calf before, and don't plan on loosing this one...another retirement project.
And that's my two bits from up here today. Dave Mc

Hows your baby? If at all possible I would be milking that cow out, rodeo or not. Preemie's have a hard enough road to travel without colostrum. We've saved them before, so it can be done. Good luck.

Little gal gave up at dawn...just to weak to even hold her head up....figure she was four + weeks early.
Will give the cow another chance as her last calf was a nice big bull calf right on schedule.
Dave Mc

baxter78":pro8h4v2 said:
Susie David":pro8h4v2 said:
Little gal gave up at dawn...just to weak to even hold her head up....figure she was four + weeks early.
Will give the cow another chance as her last calf was a nice big bull calf right on schedule.
Dave Mc

I would have the cow checked. There has to be some sort of reason for the premature labor.

Sometimes it just happens - defect in the calf, cow gets bunted by another cow, nature, fate, you name it.

I'm sorry, Dave. Helluva way to start the calving season. :( I hope things get better. Something to think about - I've learned from my goats that when a kid is born early/weak like this calf was, 50% Dextrose mixed with equal parts of water, and tubed will get them going faster than colostrum will because they can absorb the simple sugars in the Dextrose without having to digest it. Once they get to going, then you can give them the colostrum and they can digest it. I know calves aren't goats, but it's worth considering.

Never in the years I have been in the cattle business have I ever had one abort or have a defective calf from being butted. In fact my vet says it is dang near impossible due to all the flesh and bone covering the calf.

Well, We had a calf born with a broken leg once. It was a hind leg and had broken literally in half about midway up the cannon bone, and had healed (if you want to call it that) with the hoof up beside the hock. We ended up having it amputated as there was a small hole in the hide that would have allowed an infection to set in. Our vet had never seen anything like it before. No idea what exactly happened, whether she fell or was bunted but something obviously did happen. So, I am sure if something like that can happen, a cow could easily abort in similar circumstances.

I wouldn't worry too much about having this cow tested unless you have more problems. Last year we had a preemie about a month early, we were able to save him. Our cows are on a vaccination program, but we still have the occaisional abortion too. It happens. Hope you have good luck with the rest of your calving season :hat:

Sorry to hear she gave up, I was just posting to say hang in there!! We had one last year also born 5 weeks early. Tubed him with clos. three times, he literally lived in a hot box for about a week, and because he hardly had any hair, we put a dog coat on him when he was outside for about 3 weeks. It was alot of work, but he lived! We were also able to milk the cow and bottle feed him until he was strong enough to stand, so that helps.
Hope your calving season goes uphill from here!!

baxter78":1cf0cbd1 said:
randiliana":1cf0cbd1 said:
Never in the years I have been in the cattle business have I ever had one abort or have a defective calf from being butted. In fact my vet says it is dang near impossible due to all the flesh and bone covering the calf.

Well, We had a calf born with a broken leg once. It was a hind leg and had broken literally in half about midway up the cannon bone, and had healed (if you want to call it that) with the hoof up beside the hock. We ended up having it amputated as there was a small hole in the hide that would have allowed an infection to set in. Our vet had never seen anything like it before. No idea what exactly happened, whether she fell or was bunted but something obviously did happen. So, I am sure if something like that can happen, a cow could easily abort in similar circumstances.

I wouldn't worry too much about having this cow tested unless you have more problems. Last year we had a preemie about a month early, we were able to save him. Our cows are on a vaccination program, but we still have the occaisional abortion too. It happens. Hope you have good luck with the rest of your calving season :hat:

Are you disputing what a vet says? Are you a vet? Granted something happened I doubt the cow was butted though and caused the broken leg. She might have fallen. There are any number of scenarios. I just know what my vet told me and I am no vet so I take it with a grain of salt.

Just where did anyone despute what a vet said??
the way you prescibed meds in your previous personna sure seemed like you were a vet!!!!
Or a good fast reader of MERICS :D :D :D

David and Susie,

Sorry for your loss.

Im sure you will pick up where you left off.

Semper Fi, donna