Ear tags

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I just noticed today somehow my bull calf im raising to put on hereford heifers has lost his tag and gained a nicely split ear. I wont put another tag back in there as he is now easily identified with that split it and nuts. It seems yearly this happens to several of my cattle and I can't figure out how they did it. I am guessing he had his head through the fence or got it hung on a tree in the woods. I am not gonna run him through the shoot and clean it up as its already stopped bleeding and seems to be healing fine. Do any of yall have this as a yearly occurance?

Very rarely do I have one tear out - about once every 10 years. Really have to get it caught on something to do it, and happens more often with the button tags. Have seen more of the one piece tags pull out through the hole, than tear.

they will get it hung on netwrap if you let them bale graze hay fields. May I should start a thread on how to remove net wrap and bale grazing Hmmmmm!

M5farm":18mic1qz said:
they will get it hung on netwrap if you let them bale graze hay fields. May I should start a thread on how to remove net wrap and bale grazing Hmmmmm!

lmao

One of my little ones also tore his out this year. He did it in a corral (before I turned them out) with only pipe panels and non-climb. Really can't find anything he hooked it on.

My bull tore his off twice. What would happen is I would lay down a round bale off the back of the tractor and he would use it for a scratching post until I could get off and get a ring around it. The tag would hang in the net wrap and he would snap it off.
The next year when I ordered tags I ordered five extra with his number on it. Of course he hasn't done it since.

bird dog":3dqssu7n said:
My bull tore his off twice. What would happen is I would lay down a round bale off the back of the tractor and he would use it for a scratching post until I could get off and get a ring around it. The tag would hang in the net wrap and he would snap it off.
The next year when I ordered tags I ordered five extra with his number on it. Of course he hasn't done it since.

So yours must have just tored the tag out and not split the ear im guessing?

TennesseeTuxedo":3gm1zmaz said:
We have a half dozen or more with split ears from tags that get ripped out somehow.

I hate the way it looks.

Ear notch them, instead of using tags :D

TennesseeTuxedo":2caqsw6b said:
We have a half dozen or more with split ears from tags that get ripped out somehow.

I hate the way it looks.

Doesnt surprise me coming from a man that gets anxiety attacks when a tractor color doesnt match the attachment :lol2:

Bigfoot":2caqsw6b said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2caqsw6b said:

I hate the way it looks.

Ear notch them, instead of using tags :D

lol Mine ear notch themselves by way of tags

had a steer calf split his this year. Only one weve had. But I still cant figure out how he did it, he was only 6-8 weeks old when he did it

skyhightree1":22czgrxy said:
bird dog":22czgrxy said:

So yours must have just tored the tag out and not split the ear im guessing?

Yeah you are correct come to think about it. Not a tear just a much bigger hole. With the fly tags he has had over the years he has more piercings than a classroom of teenagers