ear tags

Help Support CattleToday:

tiger hunter

Reaction score
have tried many diffrent brands of ear tags.which ones stay in the best? seem to have to replace a bucket full every year. have been using z tag brand easy to put in but seems to make to big of a hole in the ear.

ALlflex or equivilent. Lose maybe one a year but only during hay feeding time.

tiger hunter":10v8ep4x said:
have tried many diffrent brands of ear tags.which ones stay in the best? seem to have to replace a bucket full every year. have been using z tag brand easy to put in but seems to make to big of a hole in the ear.

I've been using the Duflex (may be the same as the Allflex) and have had very good luck. I like the separate metal-tipped piercing piece coming in from the back. It looks to me that the key to retention is getting the tag in the location between the ribs on the ear. I am impressed by how well the lettering on their blank tags with their markers hold up. jmho. Jim

We use the Ritchie engravables with Y-tex buttons. May lose a few but a lot of them stay with the cow her entire life and you never have to worry about retags because of fade outs.

Douglas":1035b26b said:
I wonder if you can write the number on a fly tag as a backup?

I wouldn't think so? The ones we've used are kinda greasy/oily...

I do have to tell ya tho, when you handle them dang tags, wear disposable gloves!!

I was deathly sick for a couple of days from handling tags last month with my bare hands.
Had a reaction to the chemicals.

was NOT something I will ever repeat!!

I have used Z-tags with good results on older cattle but had the big hole problem when I used them in newborns. Seems like it just tears up too much tissue. I guess I'm not too particular using several different brands of tag. I haven't had much problem with Duflex, Y-tex , Z-tags and Agritags.

Interesting articles, Livestock-D

Keep in mind the USDA's list of "840" tags is almost a moot issue, since the "official tags" are a carry over from the NAIS days. However, some are still used in Scrapie and TB programs.

If you've had problems with Z Tags (or any other brand) when tagging young calves, here's a tip that will prevent torn ear ears. When tagging young or even "wet" calves, be sure to hold the ear taught when applying the tag. This will ensure you do not tear the thin tissue.

Here's another tagging tip card that shows where to place ear tags. This has worked pretty well for us.

NewZTagRetentionTips_PO_03-2285copy.jpg

Tag Man":1m4hdxbq said:
Interesting articles, Livestock-D

Keep in mind the USDA's list of "840" tags is almost a moot issue, since the "official tags" are a carry over from the NAIS days. However, some are still used in Scrapie and TB programs.

If you've had problems with Z Tags (or any other brand) when tagging young calves, here's a tip that will prevent torn ear ears. When tagging young or even "wet" calves, be sure to hold the ear taught when applying the tag. This will ensure you do not tear the thin tissue.

Here's another tagging tip card that shows where to place ear tags. This has worked pretty well for us.

NewZTagRetentionTips_PO_03-2285copy.jpg

Thanks Tag Man,
This ear chart is very good as well, gives a better view with expected veins.

I use Y-tex and Allflex. Loose alot of both. For fly tags I'll use about anything so long as it's not the same brand I used the year before.

We have the same problems, cows/calfs losing their tags, we use the Allflex. Thought about trying the Z tags, more pricey, but tired of having to replace them. We just worked a few head the other day, and already about 5 of them have lost their tags.

brenda":229oop1t said:
We have the same problems, cows/calfs losing their tags, we use the Allflex. Thought about trying the Z tags, more pricey, but tired of having to replace them. We just worked a few head the other day, and already about 5 of them have lost their tags.

I've had great luck with Z Tags. Some say they make too big of a hole going in....it won't get any larger.,

Latest posts