Ear discount

Help Support CattleToday:

Yaneo

Reaction score
I am new in the cattle business in this part of the world and it seems like brahman influenced cattle get penalized for showing too much ear,dewlap and what not. When
it is time to sell calves as feeders or stockers ,how much of a discount are you punished with if your selling say, brangusxbeefmaster cross or brangusxgert cross calves ?

I used to ranch in the tropics in Venezuela,over there you couldn't get far in the business without at least half blood brahman crosses or just straight brahman. I am now in Florida and down here you also need some brahman genes in the cattle to withstand the heat and humidity. :tiphat:

It depends on who is buying the calves. A stocker who plans on selling to a northern feed lot will not have his buyers take much ear. Cattle grazed and finished in the southern plains can have a little more ear. A lot of ear does not gain as well in cold weather, whether grazing winter wheat or on feed.
Also, too much Brahman and it takes longer to finish. Some will be green until 1500 lb.
I have seen a 30 cent discount on calves that were half ear.
If the ears are sitting higher up on the head they seems to bring more even if they are a little long. These tend to have less sheath and dewlap.

Change your bull selection. A good half brahma cow (Angus, Hereford sire)will thrive well(esp tigers). Then use an Angus to get the calves down to quarter ears.

I think it all depends on where you are. Lots of guys around here still run Brangus and they do well at the sales. But they also have a good Angus bull influence on them too.
IN your part of the country, I would think you are right about having some of that influence to tolerate the heat and humidity there.

Latest posts