ear corn again...

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to look at the supposedly 60 tons of ear corn tomorrow morning, I'll let y'all know how it turns out. I talked with him tonight and it was harvested in Oct. 2011

What about feeding it to weaned 5 & 6 wt. calves on the cob instead of grinding it? Is it too much for them that way?

They definitely won't utilize it as well, I would grind it, you'll get a better return on your dollars.

My steers are in the 700 lb range when I put them on grazing corn for the first time. 5-600 lb likely will shell much of it and not eat the cobs at first.

I would try a small amount first but remember to give them plenty of hay at first especially to avoid acidosis. Good luck.

Jim

SRBeef":mjpczkd1 said:
My steers are in the 700 lb range when I put them on grazing corn for the first time. 5-600 lb likely will shell much of it and not eat the cobs at first.

I would try a small amount first but remember to give them plenty of hay at first especially to avoid acidosis. Good luck.

Jim

I've talked with at least 4 local farmers who feed ground ear corn with free choice mineral and nothing else. One guy says he creep feeds his calves this way. Many old timers say they used to do it all the time and some still do.

[I've talked with at least 4 local farmers who feed ground ear corn with free choice mineral and nothing else. One guy says he creep feeds his calves this way. Many old timers say they used to do it all the time and some still do.[/quote]
Ground ear corn is a great feed especially when something is added to boost the protein. But you ask about feeding it without grinding it. Not the same at all.

kenny thomas":2z732wpf said:
[I've talked with at least 4 local farmers who feed ground ear corn with free choice mineral and nothing else. One guy says he creep feeds his calves this way. Many old timers say they used to do it all the time and some still do.
Ground ear corn is a great feed especially when something is added to boost the protein. But you ask about feeding it without grinding it. Not the same at all.[/quote]

The farmers I talked to didn't add any protein or anything, just free choice mineral and ground ear corn--that's it.

tncattle make sure you take a 100ft measuring tape with you and measure the pile for yourself. ;-)

Okay, here's the deal.

It was in a corn crib that was 10x10 ft (a square) and it was piled about 9 ft. high at the most. As soon as I looked at it I knew it wasn't 60 tons!! I'm be no means an expert but I know those grain trucks hold (I think) around 70,000-80,000 lbs. and it was only about a 1/4 of one of them. So that's about 900 sq. ft. of ear corn. I've been gone all day and haven't figured out the calculation but I'm sure someone will before I check back in, got to tend to the kids :D

Okay, I figured right at 25200 lbs. of corn, that's just a little off of 120,000 lbs. :mad: He wants $4000 so that's about $320 a ton if I figure right!! No wonder he hasn't sold it yet.

tncattle":q551lsy3 said:
Okay, here's the deal.

It was in a corn crib that was 10x10 ft (a square) and it was piled about 9 ft. high at the most. As soon as I looked at it I knew it wasn't 60 tons!! I'm be no means an expert but I know those grain trucks hold (I think) around 70,000-80,000 lbs. and it was only about a 1/4 of one of them. So that's about 900 sq. ft. of ear corn. I've been gone all day and haven't figured out the calculation but I'm sure someone will before I check back in, got to tend to the kids :D

Okay, I figured right at 25200 lbs. of corn, that's just a little off of 120,000 lbs. :mad: He wants $4000 so that's about $320 a ton if I figure right!! No wonder he hasn't sold it yet.
You can buy a lot better feed that pure corn for a lot less. But you knew that didn't you?

$10.92 a bushel and you do the work, you better get on that quick before the 4c tophat guy does.

Latest posts