E. Coli

Help Support CattleToday:

born2run

Reaction score
I've tried doing a search online, but come with a lot of stuff to sort through. Could someone tell me how E. Coli is spread? I know it's environmentally born, but does it spread from contaminated washing towels and the milker's hands?

E coli is a pain un the butt.ways to spead it are by hands towels milkers.ways to control useing 1 ragg to dry ea cow an only 1 cow to a rag.dipping your milkers in bleach between cows.wearing gloves as you wash cows.using a barrier teat such as ABSudder gold.culling all postive E coli cows.oe seperating an milking them lasy every milking.theres no cure forE coli.

We've been losing cows where I work because of it. Spiraling way out of control, but before I went and started accusing some of my coworkers I needed some solid proof. We're supposed to use 1 towel/cow but I know of at least 2 that do not. Not sure if it's my responsibilty to approach the boss and tell him what I know or not.

born2run":2brwfglv said:
We've been losing cows where I work because of it. Spiraling way out of control, but before I went and started accusing some of my coworkers I needed some solid proof. We're supposed to use 1 towel/cow but I know of at least 2 that do not. Not sure if it's my responsibilty to approach the boss and tell him what I know or not.

Is there a way you can diplomatically ask the boss to watch, unseen, the various shifts milk to see if he/she can figure out why the problem is spreading?

dun

They do have a surveillance camera in there dun. How much it is used is open to debate, and it isn't hooked to a recorder. I did mention it to the herd manager, and he said that from what he can see this one shift is doing it correctly. I have no doubt that they change their behavior when he comes through the parlor. If I get the opportunity I'll maybe try and politely mention it to the boss...just ask if they would watch all of us to determine if we can do anything differently?

E coli another reason I'm glad to say I'm an ex dairy farmer. I was talking to a couple friends today, both in the dairy business. Between the price of milk and the heat and all the other problems they looked and talked like defeated men.

Now I know its a farmers right to complain, but I have been there and I know the feeling in their gut. I hope they hang in there, I think. :( :(

born2run":3f73g7jh said:
I have no doubt that they change their behavior when he comes through the parlor.

That was the reason for the 'unssen" part. It would take somone pretty stupid to do stuff obviously wrong when they're being observed by managment. I'm sure you have a vet coming by regularly for herd health checks etc. What does he/she say about t he problem?

dun

From my vet textbook...

"Management practices are probably important in respect to the prevalence and type of coliform mastitis that occurs. The ability of sawdust to harbor large numbers of Klebsiella organisms has been associated with a high incidence of Klebsiella mastitis. By replacing the sawdust with sand, a dramatic reduction in Klebsiella mastitis was achieved. Sawdust bedding is not essential for outbreaks of Klebsiella mastitis, however, because these infections have also occurred in cows kept on pasture. In these cases Klebsiella organsims apparently accumulated on teat cup inflations or liners inadequately sanitized between milkings. This has also been observed in infections caused by E coli."

"Coliform mastitis is not highly contagious. Sudden outbreaks of this mastitis are not due to the appearance of a particularly virulent strain, but rather to conditions that promote increased exposure to the types of coliform bacteria in the environment, including milking equipment and bedding."

"There is good evidence that the incidence of coliform mastitis is related to the number of organisms from the environment that contaminate the teat end. ... In another experiment, dipping the teats in a culture of E coli resulted in increased infection rates, but it made no difference whether the teats were dipped before or after milking or whether the exposure involved spraying the udder during milking."

Looks like it can be environmental or transferred by milking equipment. Hope that helps, J! ;-)

And btw, for the rest of those reading this thread... ecoli IS curable, and it ain't near as hard as curing a staph cow.

rkm":2cvcrrq8 said:
E coli another reason I'm glad to say I'm an ex dairy farmer. I was talking to a couple friends today, both in the dairy business. Between the price of milk and the heat and all the other problems they looked and talked like defeated men.

Now I know its a farmers right to complain, but I have been there and I know the feeling in their gut. I hope they hang in there, I think. :( :(

It does get discouraging that is for sure, but tell your friends to just hang in there. Right now it is a tough business but I'm hoping things will only improve. :)
GMN

Look at your prep procedures, E Coli is almost always a prep issue. At our dairy we believe in J-Vac at dry up which has diminished E Coli to a minimum, and solid prep procedures. E Coli doesn't have to be a killer, and using Spectramast along with predef 2x and banamine is a life-saver. Hand stripping several times daily will almost always save the cow. They take special attention, but worth the reward and haven't lost a cow to e coli for years. JVac is a must!

Latest posts