Dwarf?- 2 pic's

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

Here are my cows, 2 yr old Hereford cow with her 6 week old Murray Gray cross calf, and a heifer we picked up at the sales barn a few months ago.
The Hereford heifer has not gotten appreciably taller since we got her-- does she look like a dwarf? We think so.

Thanks,
Susie

shes not a dwarf. a mini, maybe. i think she may be just slow growing with a big head...

I'm thinking of breeding her to a friend's black Dexter bull. Then selling her as a pair. What do you think? Think she'll be able to calve succesfully?
just kicking it around, not too much beef on her so don't know really what else to do with her.

Susie

Do you have any idea how old she is?

Hard to tell if she is the right size without knowing her age

susie":ozbe05fs said:
I'm thinking of breeding her to a friend's black Dexter bull. Then selling her as a pair. What do you think? Think she'll be able to calve succesfully?
just kicking it around, not too much beef on her so don't know really what else to do with her.

Susie
id sell her as is

Could have been a bottle calf that got a little stunted. If she's just on pasture it may take her awhile to catch up. What's she weigh now?

I'm not sure how old she is-- we though she was really young when we bought her :oops: She was 300 pounds or so when we got her.
I don't have equipment to weigh her... but she doesn't seem to have put on alot of weight, but some for sure.
She's on pasture with a lick tub available, minerals . We've wormed her with Eprinex... can't really think of anything to do except pasture her for the summer, try to get some weight on her then yeah, probably sell her or butcher her.
Just wondering if she looked dwarf-like-- she's got a really *stupid* expression to her, hard to describe. Plus her legs are so short, kind of out of proportion.

Susie

She looks to be somewhere around 500 lbs and if you bought her a couple of months ago and she wieghed 300 lbs then I would say she is doing fine.

Looks OK to me.

I guess I don't see the " stupid " look. She just looks like a smaller heifer in good condition. Give her a little time. Don't breed her too early. She might surprise you. I've seen it happen.

Okay, seems like the consenus is that she's "not a dwarf"!
That's good news- I'll run her over the summer and see how she does.
She was in pretty bad shape when we got her- really pot-gutted and roach-backed, like she had a urinary tract infectio or something.
Thanks,
Susie

Susie, she looks "normal" to me and not dwarfy, but then I'm used to Dexters, so most other breeds look like giants to me. If you decide to breed her later on, a Dexter would help with keeping the calf small. If you decide to sell her, I bet there are some miniature cattle people who'd like her as a pet (oh horrors, a pet cow, LOL).

The heifer won't win any shows, but she looks Ok for a commercial animal. I agree that she may have put on more weight since you got her than you think, because she looks a lot heavier than 300# to me. It doesn't take a very big calf to weigh 300#. They will surprise you. It takes some time to get over stress.

I am admiring that cow calf pair, especially the calf.

Thank you! I really like the calf too! I'm pleased with the cow too, she's turning out better than I thought.
This year she's shedding her shaggy winter coat, last year we'd only had her a few months in the Spring, I believe she was selenium deficient because she never did lose that scruffy hair. I do enjoy having healthy animals :)
Anyway, thanks for the compliment! So far I like the MG Hereford cross. I'll have to get a weight on her, she was 66 pounds at birth, but really seems to have grown for only 6 weeks old. Perhaps my cow is a good milker too.

Susie

Susie....let the heifer grow up. Your calf looks real good.
Has the heifer shown any signs of heat yet, she' looks fine to me. I'd keep her and see what she does....DMc

Has the heifer shown any signs of heat yet, she' looks fine to me.
Yeah, as a matter of fact she's in heat today- tried to mount the calf- closer to her height than the cow ;)

Susie

susie":3twgovn4 said:

Thank you! I really like the calf too! I'm pleased with the cow too, she's turning out better than I thought.
This year she's shedding her shaggy winter coat, last year we'd only had her a few months in the Spring, I believe she was selenium deficient because she never did lose that scruffy hair. I do enjoy having healthy animals :)
Anyway, thanks for the compliment! So far I like the MG Hereford cross. I'll have to get a weight on her, she was 66 pounds at birth, but really seems to have grown for only 6 weeks old. Perhaps my cow is a good milker too.

Susie

There's probably not much perhaps about it. If the calf is growing well, the cow is likely milking well. Again, very stout looking calf, and nice cow! I also still think the heifer will be fine. Years ago I purchased a 15 month old polled Hereford heifer (I was 17) for 625 dollars. She weighed 680#, I believe she was out of an old cow that should have been culled one year earlier. She had a fine super baldie heifer out of my uncle's Brangus bull. She raised it well, was bred back to his subsequent Hereford bull, when I sold her to make a down payment on my first house. I knew the folks who bought her well. She raised a Hereford bull calf that was as big as she was when he was a year old, and continued to raise calves until she was 14 or 15. She bred back so quickly that sometimes she would calve in January or February and again in the following winter of the same year.

~

I found some photos of a Dwarf today in my files.

Was the first one I had ever seen.
Almost drove off the road when I saw it.

Around the Enumclaw area of Washington State.

adwarfmoo.jpg

Notice the absolute absence of a neck.

Latest posts