Dun's mineral feeder- question

Help Support CattleToday:

nycowgirl

Reaction score
Okay, I got the mineral and the barrel. But I do not have a tree to hang it from. What do you suggest for alternative mounting that won't get knocked over?

Thanks,
Amy

nycowgirl":232o81gd said:
Okay, I got the mineral and the barrel. But I do not have a tree to hang it from. What do you suggest for alternative mounting that won't get knocked over?

Thanks,
Amy

I've hung them from the rafters of an old open shed, but other then trees, which we have more then enough of, I can;t think of anything that a cow wouldn;t knock over

dun

Put a piece of 2 3/8" pipe in the ground and weld another piece at the required height and hang mineral feeder.

Something like this:

| |_________________
| |_________________|
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

I cut an 8 foot 4 by 4 in half, then nailed 3 foot 2 by 6's to those 4 by 4's. This made a 4 foot by 3 foot platform. I bolted the the barrel to this using a chuck of board inside the barrel so I more holding surface than just the bolts or washers. I have several of these I have been using for 4 or 5 years. I have only had one tipped over one time. I cut the 4 by 4 at an angle to act like skids and attached a rope at that end. This way I can drag it from field to field using the tractor or pickup. They still all function fine. Well except the one that washed away in a high water. But it might be function fine on some other farm downstream.

Dave

Latest posts