Dun! Bought Mix 30

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Dun, I bought 250 gallons of Mix 30 and put it out to the cows. They all lapped it up like cats at a milk bowl. One cow couldn't just run her tongue in it like the rest of the cows, she had to lap it to the point she would put her tongue in the puddin and then swing it towards the front of her face. Of course she had her tongue run out as far as she could get it. When she would do it, she would sling it out about 2 feet. It was funny to watch. I know now to lower the level a bit in the pasture where she is. She seemed to enjoy eating it that way.

This liquid has a rusty smell. I touched it to the tip of my tongue and it had a salty, iron, silage taste. I bet the iron level is really high in it. They said it doesn't freeze because of the acidity. Now all I can say to that is that ain't right. I can put a gallon of margaritas in the freezer and it will freeze. Nothing gets more acid than that. After touching the mix to my tongue (which I won't do again) the salt level is high. That is why they stand over the water trough after licking it. But the cows really like it. They aren't taking it down fast, but they do lick it a little each day. I am anxious to see how it does. If they seem to do well, I will pick up 500 gallons next time, but as little as it takes, it will be a while. The price wasn't bad at all. I just put it out in water troughs like you suggested. Thanks for telling us about it.

I change the story about them not taking it down fast. They have almost emptied the tanks. Do they eat a lot of this at first much like minerals then slack off of it? They are still on green pasture, but they do like the mix.

Ours slurped the stuff down like crazy for the first couple of days then slacked off. Do you have loose minerals and salt still out?
It seems like each one of them has a different way of eating the stuff, we have one that only licked the spilled stuff off of the edge of the tank and off of the others faces.

dun

Dun, I still have the mineral out. I guess it is the first phase of eating it. I will continue to keep it out and see how they do. I liked the cow that guards the tank. She has to let the bull and the other boss cow eat, but when the others come, she puts her head against their sides and just keeps pressure on them till they move on. She has an attitude.

I fouond that even with the saltiness (yes I tasted it too) of the mix-30 they still ate salt on the side.

dun

Dun, I am glad to see that someone else has to see what things taste like. I am keeping the salt and minerals out to the cattle. I can tell when they are eating the Mix 30 because I can hear the automatic water vavle running a lot. It must have the same effect on the cows that country ham has on me. But it is a good thirsty. I guess the best feed I did taste of was when I fed Omolene sweet feed to horses. They use barley as part of the grain and a lot of molasses which dries on to the grain, much like the sweetener in Cracker Jacks. And that is what the barley did taste like. The peanunts in Cracker Jacks.
I will fill the tanks back up to the top this week before they run out.

Latest posts