Duck I.D.

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
Today I saw a formation of 12 or so ducks swimming(paddling) on one of my ponds (which is about 5ft. low due to the prolonged drought) that I couldn't identify. They would swim around and dive in unison, stay down for 2 or 3 seconds, come up swim 2 or 3 seconds, dive 2 or 3 seconds, and so forth. I looked at them through binoculars from 200-300 yards or so and the males were a very dark color with white cheeks and white breasts. Females a brownish shade. Interesting thing was, once in a while they would make the feathers stand up on the top of their heads. What are they, are they worth eating, and what are they diving for?

Probably hooded mergansers. Folks in Tenn. might eat them, but I wouldn't. :lol: If you can get a drake and a hen mounted on driftwood it makes for a very nice mount. They are primarily animal matter eaters as opposed to plant /grain eaters, so they were probably "fishing". Their duckbill/beak is quite a bit different than a normal duck -- appears longer, thinner and with serrations.

Do they look anything like this:

http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i1310id.html

Latest posts