DRY COUGH

Help Support CattleToday:

42acres

Reaction score
Is it normal for my cows to have a dry cough. It's not very often and when they do it, it is normaly just once. I'm assumming it is normal because they all do it, even the new ones i bring in, and have been doing it for a while. Cows seem fine.???

yea, mine will cough after licking each other on the neck & head area. I'm not sure if they are getting something they need or grooming the other one, or showing affection. But they lick each others ears and face....and then cough.

Our shorthorn steer does it a bit, but it is becoming less frequent. Here's a weird question: how often do steers moo? I've only seen our pure Hereford do it once so far and none of the others have. He did it when he was separated from the others.

Ratfish":2wnpn1s4 said:
how often do steers moo? I've only seen our pure Hereford do it once so far and none of the others have. He did it when he was separated from the others.

Generally speaking they don't - unless they are hungry or if dinner is late, taken away/seperated from their herdmates, or don't have water. Every once in a while you'll get a vocal one who seems to like to beller just to hear his brains rattle, though.

msscamp":302bvs0a said:
Ratfish":302bvs0a said:
how often do steers moo? I've only seen our pure Hereford do it once so far and none of the others have. He did it when he was separated from the others.

Generally speaking they don't - unless they are hungry or if dinner is late, taken away/seperated from their herdmates, or don't have water. Every once in a while you'll get a vocal one who seems to like to beller just to hear his brains rattle, though.

When dinner is late...that's when my steer does his best squawking.

Alice

Alice":2bvd5zf4 said:
msscamp":2bvd5zf4 said:
Ratfish":2bvd5zf4 said:

When dinner is late...that's when my steer does his best squawking.

Alice

I heard that! Let me get hung up with something and everything on the place is vocalizing their displeasure - despite the fact that there is a little food left from the morning feeding! :roll: :roll:

We have a hill that looks across the yard and into our bedroom window....I swear that the girls know where we sleep cause if we're late with the morning feeding they gather onthat hill and the chorus line is better than the radio alarm....just can't hit the snooze button. When the girls start the morning wake-up call the sters in the finishing pasture provide the accompanyment.
Semi-retirement is great...only cows and Susie to answer to!
Just my two bits worth....Dave Mc

Susie David":l3gz5djt said:
We have a hill that looks across the yard and into our bedroom window....I swear that the girls know where we sleep cause if we're late with the morning feeding they gather onthat hill and the chorus line is better than the radio alarm....just can't hit the snooze button. When the girls start the morning wake-up call the sters in the finishing pasture provide the accompanyment.
Semi-retirement is great...only cows and Susie to answer to!
Just my two bits worth....Dave Mc

Cows aren't dumb - at least the vast majority of them - I don't care what anybody says! It doesn't take them long to figure out what works, either, especially where food is concerned. ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts