Drowning?

Help Support CattleToday:

JebidiahJones

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a cow give birth near a pond?
I'm begining to think that our cow gave birth near the edge of a pond and I think that the baby rolled in and drowned.

What makes you think that? If it did drown, with temperatures like they are in a lot of the Country, it should be floating up soon. Did you find any after birth?

Give it a day or two, if it's in the Pond, it'll come up, Just make for certain that's what happened. We had a similiar situation a few years ago and thought for sure it was in the pond, but Cow had hidden the Calf in a bottom below the pond, in a thicket. How do you spell relief? Do yourself a favor, look around for it just in case...

if its a steep pond the calf could have flipped over in it trying to get up or if its not steep the cow may have actually delivered it in the pond while standing. when i was 16 i got home from school and checked on the cows immediately like i always did and found a heifer in the pond, down, with calf hiplocked. calf was under water, dead, head swollen grotesquely but came out easily when i rotated it to unlock hips. i pulled it out onto the bank. cow was still down but most of her was out of the water, the calf was just hanging low enough to drown (i suspect, although it could have died before she got in the pond). anyway, she had obviously been in labor for a very long time and consequently prolapsed there in the pond. nothing to do but shoot her.

like others said, if its in the pond you'll know soon enough. look around for it and hope she just expelled her afterbirth at the pond.

I think come morning I would give it the best shot I had trying to find it around the pond somewhere. I don't think she would have left it very far away. She might have went for a drink of water and dropped the afterbirth there. I hope it's not in the pond, but it has happened before. :( Best Luck in the morning.
Greenwillows Wife

JebidiahJones":2i1k2gun said:
Has anyone ever had a cow give birth near a pond?
I'm begining to think that our cow gave birth near the edge of a pond and I think that the baby rolled in and drowned.

If you have cattle very long you will find out how many ways you can loose a calf. Pond and creek bank are common.

Yep, I fished her out this morning. I'm pretty sad (and mad)about it. The momma just stands there calling to the water hoping that baby will come out. She would have been our 2nd calf.

JebidiahJones":1xr52mio said:
Yep, I fished her out this morning. I'm pretty sad (and mad)about it. The momma just stands there calling to the water hoping that baby will come out. She would have been our 2nd calf.
The old saying goes " if you aint't got any you can't lose any" I can tell you a few horror stories. We all can. Part of the Business. Sorry it had to happen to you.All you can do is look ahead, not behind when something like this happens.

Thats so true. All you can do is apply the lessons learned and anticipate them getting into some kind of trouble. The part that I'm mad about is that I almost have the pen finished. Oh well, At least it'll be there for the next time.

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

JebidiahJones":25hd6io3 said:
Thats so true. All you can do is apply the lessons learned and anticipate them getting into some kind of trouble. The part that I'm mad about is that I almost have the pen finished. Oh well, At least it'll be there for the next time.

Make sure you have shelter or woods to calf in the "pen" OR YOU WILL LOOSE SOME TO THE DANG MEXICAN BUZZARDS.
They are bad in our area.

JebidiahJones":3svpouwf said:

We had a cow that would calve between two creeks. She did this every time for several years. We had to fish one calf out after it fell in.

For some reason she went to the same place every time and I really haven't noticed it before in other cows but it probably happens.

Main point is she's not here any more. We can not effectively manage a calving pen.

I'll second that Caustic B !!!!

Was in the pasture looking over the herd yesterday and saw several (six) of those winged scavengers from south of the border on the ground. Now some people seem to think they may be feeding on dropings but that's manure. They were scoping out one of my smaller calves born a week or ten days ago. Momma was about 30 yards away grazing.

I know they are, as birds of prey, protected but if I'd had the old blunderbust handy they would have experienced a East Texas handshake. Scared them off but I'm still uneasy. If I loose that little critter, momma won't be far behind.

Jay

I lost a young momma and her calf this year in a pond. found her laying in the pond with head on bank pulled her out and she died that night the calf came up about 4 days later. this was her second calf.

J-CCCC":1ke4igp3 said:
I'll second that Caustic B !!!!

Was in the pasture looking over the herd yesterday and saw several (six) of those winged scavengers from south of the border on the ground. Now some people seem to think they may be feeding on dropings but that's manure. They were scoping out one of my smaller calves born a week or ten days ago. Momma was about 30 yards away grazing.

I know they are, as birds of prey, protected but if I'd had the old blunderbust handy they would have experienced a East Texas handshake. Scared them off but I'm still uneasy. If I loose that little critter, momma won't be far behind.

Jay

22 works great they fly off about 200 yards before going down, I will continue to shoot everyone I see. Hell if a cow is not in a pill box when calving they will try to get the calf and try for the cow.

How long have ya'll had these critters. I know we ain't far behind. So far we ain't got any that I know of.

Latest posts