Drought

Help Support CattleToday:

Mike,

Hopefully ya'll won't get another drought in back to back years the way we did. '05 and '06 were crippling. Now we don't have enough cows with all the rain this year.

backhoeboogie":38e627bz said:
Mike,

Hopefully ya'll won't get another drought in back to back years the way we did. '05 and '06 were crippling. Now we don't have enough cows with all the rain this year.

We are in our third year of drought!

I have had more rain this year than I did last year.

We started feeding hay in Aug. of 05 and have been since.

If the above map prediction comes true, there won't be any cows left around here by the first of the year................

Crippling? I can't walk now. :lol:

MikeC":31o1ps1l said:
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/season_drought.gif

I assume the white areas indicate normal rainfall predictions? It certainly isn't loooking good for the deep south. Hopefully their predictions won't come to pass.

I'm a "glass half full" guy.
The half full here is that the long range forecasts are usually wrong.
It is raining just enough here to keep me from baling a few more cornstalks. Had .7" this am. I'll take it.

Another year like this past, and a lot of us will be calling it quits.I cut 70 acres last week, and got 8 whopping 5X6's.I cant ever recall it staying this dry so long.

It's so dry around here that last night when I went to our Genex Co-Op yearly meeting dinner, one of the local cattle guys wanted to know if I would be willing to trade hay for registered Black Angus cattle. Normally I would have jumped at the chance but the drought has made me realize what hay will be worth this winter.

Right now, in a normal year, I would have enough hay in the barn to last me 3 years. If this winter fescue doesn't get rain and start growing, I will need to begin feeding hay before Christmas. :(

Local news guy up here said tonight you are in a 100 year drought. They said we just came out of a 20 year one. It's been tough here I can't imagine how much worse for you guys.

In '05, cactus died here. That was the only good part. Cedar trees were flashing like gasoline. Fires were the scariest of it all. Lots of folks lost everything.

backhoeboogie":1rz6ouzf said:
In '05, cactus died here. That was the only good part. Cedar trees were flashing like gasoline. Fires were the scariest of it all. Lots of folks lost everything.

How right you are BB. Our place was within 10mi of the big fire that took out the little town of Ringold Tx.

Cal

Latest posts