drought and depression

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I have to say I am kind of bummed with the no rain. It has been in the forecast for the past 3 days but no rain, its is so dry here. We planted green graze and that is still green but if we don't get rain soon, it will start to dry and die too, then may have to change the plans for that. So if anyone knows a rain dance I can do-let me know

GMN

The only thing here that hasn;t burned up is the WSG. Cows have been in it for a week and they're eating weeds and any shred of fescue they can find and ignoring the "good stuff".

sorry that your in a drought.hope you get rain soon.i hope it dont rain here till we get our hay baled.

We've been lucky here this year but it seems we've gotten more rain on the 20% days than the 80% days. Toss a snake on the fence. This will be better than a rain dance cause if your neighbors saw you they might think you lost it.

Ryder":2o5c69gz said:
Have you washed your car/truck. I have see that work many times.

:p That reminds me.....you didn't go out and buy a 4x4 truck because it had been so muddy and you kept getting stuck? That is what I think started our drought 5 years ago....I bought one 5 years ago after numerous mishaps. Dried up after I bought it and was 4 years before I really had the need for 4 wheel drive. :lol2:

Wish we could BLEND our weather with yours! We are way too wet. Can't do a thing with it! Hay is tall and beautiful but water water EVERYWHERE and the bugs are real bad. We just start getting dried out where we get hopeful to cut hay and it will pour and set us back again. Hard to do any haying with 2 days of sun, and 5 days of rain.

We've already had 4 days of severe weather in the past couple of weeks where the tornado sirens have been set off in town. That's more than we've had in the past 5 years! :help: Very odd weather and a DEFINITE wet pattern.

just 100 miles to the west of us is Devils Lake, ND. In the past 15 years or so, this good size lake has risen 30 feet and quadrupled in size swallowing up farmland, farmsteads, roads and towns!!

so.... too much of anything IS bad for you, as the old saying goes!!

LazyARanch":51v7w91w said:
Wish we could BLEND our weather with yours! We are way too wet. Can't do a thing with it! Hay is tall and beautiful but water water EVERYWHERE and the bugs are real bad. We just start getting dried out where we get hopeful to cut hay and it will pour and set us back again. Hard to do any haying with 2 days of sun, and 5 days of rain.

We've already had 4 days of severe weather in the past couple of weeks where the tornado sirens have been set off in town. That's more than we've had in the past 5 years! :help: Very odd weather and a DEFINITE wet pattern.

just 100 miles to the west of us is Devils Lake, ND. In the past 15 years or so, this good size lake has risen 30 feet and quadrupled in size swallowing up farmland, farmsteads, roads and towns!!

so.... too much of anything IS bad for you, as the old saying goes!!

That is kind of unusual to have tornadoes in MN isnt it?

It would be hard to get the hay up, but at least it won't dry up and disappear, eventually you will get it cut. Is MN weather simialr to WI weather?

GMN

no, tornadoes aren't unusual up here. We don't have them to the degree (in size, frequency or sheer numbers) that Tornado Alley gets them but severe weather is a stressful situation at my job at the 911 Center. We deal with the National Weather Service, trained spotters, the general public, plus all of our notifications to the various agencies and setting off sirens.

We have pretty similar weather to Wisconsin. In fact, a lot of our weather passes on through on its way to Wisconsin.
Not too often the other way around. :tiphat: (you're very welcome any and all Wisconsinites!) :lol2:

Up here in the far northwest of Minnesota in Kittson County, we are not much above sea level and water tends to just sit and breed bugs during a wet year. This year the horseflies, deer flys and skeeters are numerous, and prolific. The stock is spending more time milling and stomping than they are eating.
We're hoping to get some rubs up for them for relief.

Like I said, would be nice to BLEND our weather extremes!

GMN, I wish you RAIN and more RAIN, and I hope you are smiling soon!

IT RAINED :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

What a difference already in the fields, what was once brown and crispy is already turning green again-time to have a cook out to celebrate the rain this weekend!!!

GMN

They do green up fast, but they brown again just as quickly if you don't get the next rain on time.

dun":1q6lhtyi said:
All the little we got last nigh did was wash the dust off.
It rained here most of the afternoon, poured, and again last night, so yeah I am real happy :tiphat:

Latest posts