Drilling beans ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Wouldn't think so...recalibrate for the closed off holes. Row spacing if you need to go back through the only question.

Stocker Steve":bk91mj2r said:
Is there any potential problems with taking a JD press drill with 6" centers, taping up every other hole, and putting in soy beans?
Why do you want 12" spacings vs 6" spacings?

inbredredneck":3b164e1c said:
Stocker Steve":3b164e1c said:
Is there any potential problems with taking a JD press drill with 6" centers, taping up every other hole, and putting in soy beans?

I was told 12 to 18 inch row spacing is ideal.
I picked up some land that was in continuous corn. Part of it becomes pasture and part of it becomes a (bean) rotation experiment.

Stocker Steve":2f0grdo1 said:
inbredredneck":2f0grdo1 said:
Stocker Steve":2f0grdo1 said:

I picked up some land that was in continuous corn, so it is becoming a bean and stocker pasture rotation experiment.

I was told 12 to 18 inch row spacing is ideal. I think the trade off is how soon the beans canopy vs. how consistently your drill pours seed into a row when it is choked down.

I lived in Renville county for a while and from what i seen then (late 90's) there was rarely any beans drilled, likely because of equipment costs or just because of the terrible weather there lol. But here in Ohio rarely are they rowed. there is benefits to both, with drilled beans you have earlier canopy closure but with wider rows you should have less problems mold, mildew, and disease. since your drilling into continuous corn diseases should not be problem except you may want to add some seed inoculant (that black stuff that looks like dirt) fwiw

The idea is that with wider row spacing that you will avoid the white mold problems some people have with high yielding beans in 7.5 row inch spacing. Speaking from personal experience only, with our bean yield average a little north of 50 bushel/acre and our moist climate we have yet to observe white mold on any of our beans. Of course maybe if we switched to 15" rows we would average 60 bushel/acre. :cowboy:

Latest posts