Downer cow conundrum

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Hey guys, I have a cow who has been down for about two weeks now. Not getting any worse but not getting any better.

Here's the problem:

I know you are supposed to turn them every 24 hrs. I have tried that but the issue is, one one side she is fine, once I put her on the other side, she gets herself cast overnight or while I am away and bloats up something shocking, when she does this she gets set back for a few days. So the question is, do you keep turning her and deal with the bloating, or do you leave her on the side she prefers. I left her on the preferred side for a few days, problem being not only has she developed pressure sores, one back leg is getting pretty dead.

Is it time to shoot her?

Have you tried a hip lifter?

I have to say that with my experience in these situations <only dairy cows> after that amount of time with no progression I think it might be the best thing for her, as sad and awful as it seems.

BTW what meds have you been giving her?????

All the best with what ever you decide to do ..

hi
2 weeks is along time for a cow to be down does she make any attempt to get up??
you could try use somthing to stop her from rolling over when you put her on that side otherwise her leg is going to get alot worse.

Hi all,

she is now staying on the other side without casting and bloating.

Yes, we have been using the hip lifters on her. Yesterday she made some effort to stand when we hoisted her up.

Not sure what made her go down in the first place, have been giving her Trisoprim (trimethoprim sulfur?? or something to that effect) and TetraVet (oxytetracycline) to cover bases. She is one of the younger cows, has had one calf but currently open and dry due to drought. In better body condition than some of the others. I would have expected problems with the old lactating cows, but this one :?:

She is a former show heifer out of our top cow, so I guess that is why we have left her so long. Probably too long. She will be euthanased if no improvement on Thursday, as we will be off the property for 10 days and the person coming to check the animals is unable to lift and turn her.

Hills ... sad and awful ... :nod: :nod:
Nothing I hate worse than putting down an animal that looks ok. Even if I tell myself it is for the best.

I'd give her some dexamethazone and Banamine, the first is to reduce swelling, the second a pain reliever. Seems odd that such a younger animal would just go down, with no apparent reason, but I have to agree 2 weeks with no major improvement, is not a good sign for recovery.

Gail

Two weeks is a long time.. and unfortunately as you've determined, being down that long only leads to more problems. WHY is it always the show calves / pets? Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking...

Very sorry for your situation.

Latest posts