Down cow

Help Support CattleToday:

carla

Reaction score
Cow has been down for about 8 days. I gave her dexamethasone for 3 days at the beginning. We have got her up with the tractor several times. When we have her lifted up, she won't put any weight on her back legs. She just hangs there. When she lies back down, she keeps both legs stretched out behind her. We can't seem to make her set up normal. Any body with any suggestions that I could try? I know of stories of cows getting up on there own after a long time, but at what point do you give up and have them put down? Thanks for any info!!!

The few I've seen that lay with their legs out behind them have never gotten up. The dairy just had one die over the weekend that was that way. Broken pelvis.

Last winter I nursed one for a neighbor for a couple of weeks. She finally got to weak to raise her head so I wacked her. Broken pelvis. That one had slipped on the ice, the one this week-end had slipped in the mud.

dun
dun

carla":gmzkwynm said:
Cow has been down for about 8 days. I gave her dexamethasone for 3 days at the beginning. We have got her up with the tractor several times. When we have her lifted up, she won't put any weight on her back legs. She just hangs there. When she lies back down, she keeps both legs stretched out behind her. We can't seem to make her set up normal. Any body with any suggestions that I could try? I know of stories of cows getting up on there own after a long time, but at what point do you give up and have them put down? Thanks for any info!!!

Did she just calve?

I usually put them down after a week or so unless they seem to be coming around. Not saying you should, just the way I do it. Hate to see an animal suffer and don't have time to baby-sit them either.

Craig-TX

She did just calve and he was huge. Had to pull the calf. Didn't weigh him because he didn't make it. She fought really hard the first few days to get up. It's just been the last 3 days that she hasn't tried as hard. She hasn't completely quit trying and she has a good appetite.

carla":1afsmmeu said:
She did just calve and he was huge. Had to pull the calf. Didn't weigh him because he didn't make it. She fought really hard the first few days to get up. It's just been the last 3 days that she hasn't tried as hard. She hasn't completely quit trying and she has a good appetite.

We have had this happen before. Just give her time (sometimes it take a few weeks). Get her up or roll her over everyday and take her feed and water. Eventually she will get up. We have never had the same cow do it again so I would give her another chance if she makes it.

I had this happen to a cow last spring. She stayed on the ground for about eight days and finally came out of it. The first couple of days I rolled her side to side a couple of times a day. Then I started grabbing her tailhead and helping her balance out and walk. Then one day she came over across the pasture to meet me. If she quits being alert and happy then it is time to put her down.

JB

txshowmom":27isaa2q said:
We have had this happen before.
J Baxter":27isaa2q said:
I had this happen to a cow last spring.
You guys have had this luck with cows getting up after their legs have been stretched out behind them for 8 days?

Texan":1pkq49lp said:
txshowmom":1pkq49lp said:
We have had this happen before.
J Baxter":1pkq49lp said:
I had this happen to a cow last spring.
You guys have had this luck with cows getting up after their legs have been stretched out behind them for 8 days?

You got me too. I guess I didn't read the post correctly ours had their legs under them or stretched out to the side but not behind them.

And I agree when they have their legs under them, give them time. Stretched out behind was the operative part of the question

dun

Had this happen a few times in the past. Never turned out better than a bullet in the head. Damaged nerves - no feeling in the legs or pelvis region.

Carla have you done a feeling test? Prick with something sharp (big needle, pitch fork tine) in the pelvis in the back legs and also put pressure from the bottom of the hoof and move it toward the hip(when the leg is on the side/under her) as if you were bending the leg and see if she resists or flinches at all. Lift up her tail toward her back at the base and see if she communicates at all.

Had this happen a few times in the past. Never turned out better than a bullet in the head. Damaged nerves - no feeling in the legs or pelvis region. .

We had a young cow that went down on the ice like that, we didn't wait too long before butchering her out and putting her in the freezer. Good Luck.

Latest posts