Down calf

Help Support CattleToday:

MRRherefords

Reaction score
We have had a very good calving season so far with very healthy calves. However, We had a heifer born on Friday. I happened to be there when she calved and the calf was up and nursing within half an hour of birth. Saturday she was running around and seemed very healthy. Sunday morning same thing. Sunday evening she seemed lethargic and just a little down. Took temperature and no fever, so figured no big deal. Monday morning, calf was down. Could not get up on its own and not nursing. Would not even take a bottle, had runny poop, and seemed skinny. We tubed her some electrolytes as she looked dehydrated. Monday night she still wasn't up but had her head up and had bright eyes. Tubed some milk to her that we milked from her mom. Tuesday morning she was worse, slight fever too, hit her up with some banamine. Tubed some more electrolytes and then milk replacer mixed with moms. Called the vet and he gave her an IV with more banamine and some really good electrolytes. Tuesday night she seemed better, could now get up on her own. We tubed her with two quarts of moms milk with a little milk replacer. Now giving her a few excenel shots as well as another Banamine shot (as her temp. last night was 103.eight). This morning she seemed better. She got up on her own and even jumped around a little bit. Went over to moms udder and played with the teats a little but would not nurse. Probably still full from last nights full dose, as her stomach was very full. Gave another dose of excenel and Banamine (Temp. now 102.6, will probably (hopefully) be the last dose of Banamine.) She seems to be regaining strength. Was going to feed her at noon, but figure maybe if she is a little hungry she will take from mom (who needs to be nursed off of.) Any other suggestions as to what else I should do for her?

I've always had good luck with Resflor Gold - it has Banamine in it - and Vitamin B Complex for energy. But you're obviously working with your vet; just make sure she's warm & dry, out of the elements. Good luck!

It has been on week since we had the vet out. The calf is nursing well. Just not bouncing around. Walks/acts stiff/sore. It this just a result of all the shots she has been given through this past Saturday or is there something else possibly? She has good temp, blood pressure, and stool. Not dehydrated either, just nurses and then lays down. Her head is up, but her ears are down. Thoughts?

Nursing, good stool, good temp/bp, not dehydrated = good. But droopy ears = something still isn't right & I doubt it's from all the shots. Have you tried any of the gels with vitamins & probiotics? I use Nursemate ASAP for sluggish calves. That said, I'd be inclined to either take her in or have the vet back out. Bless your heart, you're doing everything you can and I hope she pulls through.

Quick update on the calf. Vet came out and said that everything felt normal except she did have a temp of 103. Put her on Nuflor and said hopefully there was leftover infection from the previous round and it settled someplace, and not something really bad like a heart or neurological issue. So we will give the Nuflor and hope for the best.

Something dawned on me this afternoon and I thought I would get others' thoughts as well. Could this calf have septicemia? Treated with Nuflor yesterday and no improvement at all. Her heart rate has increased, but her gums are good. Just seems to exhibit a lot of sepsis signs.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3szuewqm said:
Or naval ill. That will give her stiff joints.
I thought that at first, but wouldn't she have a lump of sorts around it? Checked that real good. I hit her up with iodine as soon as she was born to. Tomorrow she gets some more Nuflor. So hopefully that helps. Thanks for the advise.

Update on calf. No change at all. Still very lethargic and weak. Been giving Nuflor and Banamine the last few days. My understanding is it is kind of a trial and error for the antibiotics. With that being said, is there any other antibiotics that you think may work?

What about Draxxin? Supposed to be the newest all around antibiotic? Also, years ago we used florenphenicol (sp?). It has been taken off the market for animals but it seems to me there was another one that was similiar. It would all but raise an animal from the dead.
I would have thought possible joint/navel ill also for the stiffness.

Where is Lucky-P ????

draxxin is Imo the best antibiotic and I use it on my bottle calves. However, It is not cheap at all. Just as farmerjan said if you give them draxxin and they don't thrive nothing will help them atleast that's how it seems with me and bottle calves. I would call your vet and run it past them and see what they think though. You don't want to play guessing games too long or the calf will die. Anyone can give you advise and their experiences but none of that compares to a vet that can come out and check on your animal.

skyhightree1":3v51t53d said:
draxxin is Imo the best antibiotic and I use it on my bottle calves. However, It is not cheap at all. Just as farmerjan said if you give them draxxin and they don't thrive nothing will help them atleast that's how it seems with me and bottle calves. I would call your vet and run it past them and see what they think though. You don't want to play guessing games too long or the calf will die. Anyone can give you advise and their experiences but none of that compares to a vet that can come out and check on your animal.
Thank you. Vet has been out three times so far on this one. Just talked to him and he said that Draxxin will be coming on Monday after the Nuflor is done. He confirmed Septicemia. He says that if the calf is not any better by the end of the Draxxin, we should take her to New Bolton Vet hospital. We have had a lot of success there. Our vet has been practicing for nearly 35 years and said this is one of the first that he has seen quite like this, rejecting all antibiotics. New Bolton has access to some of the top drugs and other things. It may be expensive, but we already have so much into her, we might as well see it through. Thank you everyone for your suggestions, help, and encouragement.

Good luck, keep us posted. Had a horse at New Bolton years ago to remove a cancer on the 3rd eyelid? She did fine and had several more foals. Had a dairy farmer here take a registered show cow up there and she is doing pretty good. Had some sort of blindness, like "moon blindness" in horses, really weird. She was there for over 10 days but is back in the milking herd now.

Latest posts