Dove season

Help Support CattleToday:

Turkeybird

Reaction score
Opening day is Labor Day ,as young bucks we used to look forward to it every year now its just a day that we get invaded

As a young buck I could run a lot faster with a shotgun than I can now so it has lost some of its appeal. :oops:

Turkeybird":1abfemne said:
Opening day is Labor Day ,as young bucks we used to look forward to it every year now its just a day that we get invaded

Yep. I used to love it. Now.... if I'm gonna sweat that much there's gonna be some money involved. Too dang hot here until 2nd season

Last weekend in Sept here. Looking like I'm gonna be in hay about then . But maybe a short shoot. We have hunted opening day for as long as I can remember. Fry em up about dark and eat till my belly hurts. We planted some brown top and sorghum about 3 weeks ago in a bigger weed field. Alot birds have been here a month hitting the corn fields behind the combines

I never hunted them, but enjoyed listening to them late in the evening. My neighbor and his father used to come over a couple times and get all they wanted but when I got rid of all the goatweed, almost all the doves left.

He mentioned it to me last year "I sure wish you woulda let the goatweed grow here so dad & I could bird hunt some more"

Told him he has plenty of acreage of his own, plant it and grow it on his own place............ Didn't go over too well.

Walking, and jumping doves is my favorite way to hunt them, if I know where they tend to be. It's also a good way to scout quail for November.

greybeard":29g02k3o said:
Are those fake powerlines and dove decoys legal most places?

:nod: ... in Texas

Our dove hunting really tapered of when we started cleaning out the places and planting grass. I mess with my dad all the time and tell him Im going to let it grow back up when he dies. :) He laughs and says I don't blame you.

We do let the water wells over flow and puddle up during dove season.

If I wanted to eat some nasty, dark, bloody meat I would go to the store and buy some liver. I never could makes myself like them.

Tbrake":1d6lexrq said:
If I wanted to eat some nasty, dark, bloody meat I would go to the store and buy some liver. I never could makes myself like them.

I can't be certain but I'd be willing to bet that if you ate some that were really cooked right you would change your mind. I like em just fine fried myself. It's a delicacy when they are deboned and wrapped in bacon and grilled, smothered in gravy, or cooked in dumplings, wild rice, or dressing.... my mouth is watering right now.

All throughout my life I tried and tried to like them, but it wasn't until last year that I ate some that I couldn't get enough of. Can't remember the entire process I was told, but they finished them with jalapeno and bacon on the grill.

slick4591":1epuw7e3 said:
All throughout my life I tried and tried to like them, but it wasn't until last year that I ate some that I couldn't get enough of. Can't remember the entire process I was told, but they finished them with jalapeno and bacon on the grill.

I have taken them, deboned them, wrapped the breast around cream cheese and a piece of jalapeño, or bell, pepper, then wrap the whole thing in bacon and grill. Man that's good eating. Also do the same thing with turkey, pheasant, and have occasionally done it with chicken. Takes a little time, especially if you're cooking for very many, but it's worth it as a treat.

Forgot to add if you soak the meat in Italian dressing for awhile before wrapping its even better.

JMJ Farms":3fqp3z5z said:
slick4591":3fqp3z5z said:

I have taken them, deboned them, wrapped the breast around cream cheese and a piece of jalapeño, or bell, pepper, then wrap the whole thing in bacon and grill. Man that's good eating. Also do the same thing with turkey, pheasant, and have occasionally done it with chicken. Takes a little time, especially if you're cooking for very many, but it's worth it as a treat.

Forgot to add if you soak the meat in Italian dressing for awhile before wrapping its even better.

I think I got a old pair of boots
Probably be ok cooked that way... :D

callmefence":u9dirwbj said:
JMJ Farms":u9dirwbj said:
slick4591":u9dirwbj said:

I think I got a old pair of boots
Probably be ok cooked that way... :D

Bacon makes everything better! Don't forget to take a pic for us :lol2:

Caustic Burno":1xv0cpo4 said:
Son and I shot 24 this evening hunting in the rain with ponchos on. Six short of two limits.
I shot almost 5 boxes of shells, and the power lines were sagging with doves when we quit.

True Grit Farms":7skznihe said:
Caustic Burno":7skznihe said:
Son and I shot 24 this evening hunting in the rain with ponchos on. Six short of two limits.
I shot almost 5 boxes of shells, and the power lines were sagging with doves when we quit.

It was like duck hunting this evening.
I was shooting a 28 gauge and had 11 birds in 19 shots. I flat missed the first few till I got my timing down.

Caustic Burno":2d03ipe5 said:
True Grit Farms":2d03ipe5 said:
Caustic Burno":2d03ipe5 said:

It was like duck hunting this evening.
I was shooting a 28 gauge and had 11 birds in 19 shots. I flat missed the first few till I got my timing down.
We started shooting after 3 and quit at 5. We were shooting over sunflowers, wheat, millet and some peanut hearts. I'm told the doves need to settle down and feed before dark or they'll go somewhere else. The guy that owns this field has it high fenced so the deer can't eat the crops, and a irrigation pivot to provide water as needed.

Latest posts