Donkey's

Help Support CattleToday:

High Cotton":3hdvgy8y said:
Taurus":3hdvgy8y said:
Too many people here blaming on the dogs without knowing who is really doing the killings. Coyotes are capable to killing a month old calf and the coyotes in Eastern United States are generally larger and more pack-oriented than the coyotes in west. In fact all coyotes in eastern U.S has wolf genetics in them. That said, a guy in our neighborhood lost two of his cows to the coyotes when they were eating the cows alive while the cows were calving.

So either you have a coyote problem or a dog problem.

Down here I seriously doubt that a coyote would have crossed with a wolf. Interbreeding with stray dogs is a much more likely assumption. In my personal experience I see 10 dogs to 1 coyote. Coyotes are around but usually keep to themselves. I see it like this. If I see it roaming around I run it off. If I see it hassling the cows I kill it.

Very few states in the lower 48 even have a wolf population.
Last free roaming Red Wolves were considered extinct here by the 70's.

Brute 23":brfp0mdm said:
TN Cattle Man":brfp0mdm said:
Thanks for the inputs...

I make it a point to never check the cattle without some sort of firearm with me now. I have seen domestic dogs running in packs around our area... heaven help them if I see them on the farm! After this incident, the wife even wanted to practice up on her skills with the .22 rifle!

Brian

Check the laws in your state. In Texas it is not legal to shoot a dog crossing your property just because.

Very true here as well dogs have roaming rights unless they are causing a problem... Like high cotton says don't tell a soul. I have found a recipe that takes care of them very quietly. :lol2: :lol2:

High Cotton":2tp4m4zl said:
Taurus":2tp4m4zl said:
Too many people here blaming on the dogs without knowing who is really doing the killings. Coyotes are capable to killing a month old calf and the coyotes in Eastern United States are generally larger and more pack-oriented than the coyotes in west. In fact all coyotes in eastern U.S has wolf genetics in them. That said, a guy in our neighborhood lost two of his cows to the coyotes when they were eating the cows alive while the cows were calving.

Down here I seriously doubt that a coyote would have crossed with a wolf. Interbreeding with stray dogs is a much more likely assumption. In my personal experience I see 10 dogs to 1 coyote. Coyotes are around but usually keep to themselves. I see it like this. If I see it roaming around I run it off. If I see it hassling the cows I kill it.
DNA in Eastern Coyotes indeed do have wolf genetics in them.....the DNA cannot lie. Most explanation why they have wolf genetics is that when the Eastern Timber wolves become uncommon historically that they are unable to find a mate of their own species so they start to breed with the coyotes and a natural hybrid population was born.

Caustic Burno":1cgl0amq said:
High Cotton":1cgl0amq said:
Taurus":1cgl0amq said:

Washington, Oregon, Utah, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Colorado, Wyoming, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Arizona and Michigan has thriving grey wolf populations and few lone wolves were found in several states that do not have wolf populations. A confirmed Mexican grey wolf x coyote hybrid were killed in Texas a while back as the DNA revealed.

Taurus":2d8r9d1m said:
Washington, Oregon, Utah, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Colorado, Wyoming, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Arizona and Michigan has thriving grey wolf populations and few lone wolves were found in several states that do not have wolf populations. A confirmed Mexican grey wolf x coyote hybrid were killed in Texas a while back as the DNA revealed.[/quote]

The DNA is there but does it also tell you if the cross breeding happened 10 years ago or a perhaps a hundred years ago??

TexasBred":1dk50bv6 said:
Taurus":1dk50bv6 said:
Washington, Oregon, Utah, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Colorado, Wyoming, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Arizona and Michigan has thriving grey wolf populations and few lone wolves were found in several states that do not have wolf populations. A confirmed Mexican grey wolf x coyote hybrid were killed in Texas a while back as the DNA revealed.

The DNA is there but does it also tell you if the cross breeding happened 10 years ago or a perhaps a hundred years ago??[/quote] Both, the wolves are still hybridizing with coyotes even today as the percentage of wolf DNA in the coyotes has revealed. Some hybrids were F1 and others were from few generations ago or even hundred generations ago. In the Mexican grey wolf x coyote hybrid's case, the DNA test revealed that the hybrid's sire is a purebred Mexican grey wolf from New Mexico.

TexasBred":3dnpp0i0 said:
Taurus":3dnpp0i0 said:

The DNA is there but does it also tell you if the cross breeding happened 10 years ago or a perhaps a hundred years ago??[/quote]

Excellent point. I have noticed a couple significant difference in my short time. When I was a kid, the yotes around here were poor and maigny, and not much bigger than a black and tan. They seldom caused any problems and only see one or two at a time. Now they are larger and very healthy looking, and often seen in packs of several.
I have 2 jennies that don't let anything on the place. They have even tried to run me off before, when I was wearing a new black sweatshirt instead of the brown carhart they were used to seeing me in

It's pretty easy to tell if it's a yote or dog if you see a fresh kill.
Dogs kill for the fun and yotes kill for the food.

Cal

TexasBred":mjs9ud86 said:
Taurus":mjs9ud86 said:

The DNA is there but does it also tell you if the cross breeding happened 10 years ago or a perhaps a hundred years ago??[/quote]

TB the Texas Park's say they are extinct here I think I am going with them.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wi ... /graywolf/

Caustic Burno":5ttr1jih said:
TexasBred":5ttr1jih said:
Taurus":5ttr1jih said:

The DNA is there but does it also tell you if the cross breeding happened 10 years ago or a perhaps a hundred years ago??

TB the Texas Park's say they are extinct here I think I am going with them.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wi ... /graywolf/[/quote]
The DNA don't lie, the Mexican grey wolf x coyote hybrid has 50% wolf blood in him and the test revealed that the hybrid's sire was a pure Mexican grey wolf. The Mexican grey wolves were recently released in New Mexico into the wild and are start to showing up in Arizona, southern Utah and southern Califorina. My guess is that there is a uncollared purebred Mexican grey wolf that is wandering away from New Mexico just searching for a mate to start a pack and instead of finding any wolves, he mated with a local coyote. You guys act like that you are in denial but the DNA don't lie.

Caustic Burno":r47wrcyk said:
We have also found sabre tooth tiger dna in our housecat's.
The dog sitting in my lap has wolf dna.
Yup you are in denial. Dogs are genetically different from the wolves, despite of the dogs and the grey wolves shared same ancestor. Also sabertooth tiger are not TRUE feline at all, in fact they are not even related to the felines at all. The point is that you cannot denied the solid fact that a hybrid was killed in Texas has 50% wolf DNA in him and the DNA test revealed that the hybrid's sire was 100% purebred grey wolf. Why is that hard for you to accepted the fact that it has already happened? Just for your record, there is no purebred grey wolf in Texas.....yet judging from the Mexican grey wolf populations has increasing in New Mexico and Arizona.

Taurus":2rr8wmkm said:
Caustic Burno":2rr8wmkm said:
Yup you are in denial. Dogs are genetically different from the wolves, despite of the dogs and the grey wolves shared same ancestor. Also sabertooth tiger are not TRUE feline at all, in fact they are not even related to the felines at all. The point is that you cannot denied the solid fact that a hybrid was killed in Texas has 50% wolf DNA in him and the DNA test revealed that the hybrid's sire was 100% purebred grey wolf. Why is that hard for you to accepted the fact that it has already happened? Just for your record, there is no purebred grey wolf in Texas.....yet judging from the Mexican grey wolf populations has increasing in New Mexico and Arizona.

Nope not denial just fact.
We do have a black panther behind every other tree here in the Thicket maybe they ate them.
You have been watching to many movie's.

Caustic Burno":30b272ci said:
Taurus":30b272ci said:
Caustic Burno":30b272ci said:

Nope not denial just fact.
We do have a black panther behind every other tree here in the Thicket maybe they ate them.
You have been watching to many movie's.
Nope you are still in denial because you don't want to believe that it's true and you don't want to be wrong. That is what it is about all. :cowboy:

Believe what you want, I am still not scared of the dark or the ghost light's.
Taurus you are so funny you have no clue what these hillbillies have been caught with as pet's back in these wood's.
We have had monitor lizard's an anaconda, African lion's, Wolves and Wolf hybred's just in my area.
It wouldn't surpise me if a tiger walked across my pasture tomorrow.
He!! we have bluebird's with emu DNA since the bottom fell out of the emu scam.

Caustic Burno":3gbdu48a said:
Taurus you are so funny you have no clue what these hillbillies have been caught with as pet's back in these wood's.
We have had monitor lizard's an anaconda, African lion's, Wolves and Wolf hybred's just in my area.
You forget to take your meds again, did you?

Taurus":3g881sa1 said:
Caustic Burno":3g881sa1 said:

Naw I took em. I would bet a dollar against a doughnut hole if they dropped you off after dark in this thicket you would be crying like a school girl about all the terrible monsters in the wood's by daylight.

Caustic Burno":37i3dw43 said:
Taurus":37i3dw43 said:
Caustic Burno":37i3dw43 said:

Naw I took em. I would bet a dollar against a doughnut hole if they dropped you off after dark in this thicket you would be crying like a school girl about all the terrible monsters in the wood's by daylight.
:lol: I think you are getting a little carried away....

Thought I would post an update...

Picked up 2 Jennies last week (both 2-year olds) and put them with the herd. Didn't really have any concerns with the donkeys as I got them from a cattle farm and they had been with cows all their lives (this particular farms also raises donkeys for cattle farms).

Wish I had a video camera with me as the momma cows all started to chase the donkeys around the pasture!! All has settled down now and the two have made a home within the herd. Maybe it's a mental thing, but I feel better knowing that there is some form of protection with the cows now.

Brian