Dogs and the people who name them.

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
How do you name your new dogs? I'm getting a replacement Dachsund tonight and always wrestle with naming them it sure seems.....
What's your favorite dog name ? Have you got any traditions on how your animals are named and who gets to name them? Thanks in advance.

Last 3 dogs have all been B names.
Bailey - as in George Bailey, Jimmy Stewart's character from It's a Wonderful Life. Love that movie.
Then the stray showed up - a huge shepard mix whose face markings were just like those of a St Bernard, so we called him Bernie.
RIP Bernie. :cry:
Beggar - the day I brought her home, we were all over at my folks house on the back porch and she ran around whining until someone picked her up. She seemed like a Beggar at the time, although now I'd vote for Brainless. :roll:

Some folks that live near us have dogs that are all named for US Presidents: Ike, Truman, Teddy, etc.
And I've heard of people who named them after first ladies - an idea I admit to pondering for laying hens.

Enjoy the new pup!

That's funny, Farmwriter, we have had a lot of "B" names, too. Bridget, Bonnie, Buddy, Bear, and now Baxter.

It just seems like they will show some personality that suggests a name. Or the circumstances will. A friend spent the money her husband gave her for a new vacum on a dachsund puppy instead, who they named Kirby. My aunt and uncle had a lab/chow puppy who shredded everything in sight and they named him Ollie because Oliver North was in the news at the time.

The last 2 weanie dogs were named for their color. Hersheys was chocolate with a little black and Aggie is mottled and looks like an agate

I usually just study em a while and run names through my head til I find one that seems to fit em.

Dogs are easy to name Cows drive me nuts.

Our dogs end up with whatever name comes to mind. It seems most of the dogs and horses start with S, but that wasn't intentional. Sierra, Shasta, (both mountains, ironically) Cheyenne, Scrappy, Spunky, Sage. It doesn't really matter though because we end up giving them indian names. Cheyenne is Hooker, she likes to rub on your leg, Sierra is Smokin Tater dog, she fetches spuds, we have Dork Dog, he is missing brain cells... etc.

We name our milk cows after women we hate.

Since my wife can;t remember ear tags she names all the calves. This year she tried to name the calves after their mothers names first letter. But Ginger and and Grant were a natural pair. One cow when she has a bull calf is alwasy named Milo. The cow was named after a friend of ours (same birthdays) and her favorite dog now deceased was named Milo. Has anyone noticed how some women get POed if you name a cow after them?

I've had several and their name may have come to me when I first saw them or it may have taken a day or two. I've had two weenie dogs, one named Oscar and one named Frankie. A chocolate lab named Dutch, and two yellow labs, one named Drake and one named Burly because I thought he was as tough as pine burl. A stray dog came up and stayed, everywhere Burly went that dog followed, when my grand daughter asked who's dog it was I told her it was Burly's buddy and the name stuck, so his name is Buddy. Had a black and tan hound I named Bandit because he looked like he had a mask on and a Basset hound I named Humphrey because he looked like Bogart.

Quite a few years ago my wifes self appointed protector who happened to be an australian shepherd named Montana Crystal passed away. My wife was distraught. I called a friend who was a breeder and told her that I needed a puppy quick. she said I have a friend with a litter and they have one left.

after i burried Tana I loaded the wife in the truck and did not tell her anything until we drove the hundred miles and rolled up into the yard.

She immediatley picked up the pup and it was love at first sight for both.

I was nearly overcome with emotion a few minutes later when I had to write the check.

On the way home the puppy went to sleep in the wifes lap and she is talking about how she can not replace Tana......Bla bla bla. love her just as much bla bla bla..... alternately crying over Tana and Hugging the new pup.

she is all emotional and I am now broke and wondering if I had enough gas to get home.....

Finally I said that I am glad you are a bit happier and I knew I had to get you something to try to fill the void in your life but she sure cost more than Tana.

The wife immediately fires back with "But she is Worth It." At that time Cybil Shepherd was doing commercials for Loreal and winking at me thru the TV and telling me that it cost more but she is worth it.

right then and there I declared that the new pups name would be Loreal. we called her Lore.

Little Lore was the best natural cow dog I ever saw. She was born knowing more about working cows than I have learned in my whole life.

We lost Loreal a couple of years ago now. She died sleeping at the foot of the bed near my wife.

I had a cocker spaniel we named Rocky because he chewed on rocks. A bluetick hound named Bullet. He was the laziest dog you have ever seen until it was time to hunt coons. I had a Lapsa Apsa (sp?) named Smokey from his color. An absolutley huge Great Pyrienese named Big'Un. A German shorthair mix with a black mask named Bandit. A yellow lab named Simba, a chocalate named Harley, a black female lab named Nyala, two German shepards named Ajax and Lucky and now a black lab named Rio. For most original name I have an orange tabby cat named....Tigger :D

I have a friend down in Chambers County that always has a dog named Dan. When one Dan dies, his replacement will also be a Dan. He does it so he can remember their name.

pdfangus said:
I was nearly overcome with emotion a few minutes later when I had to write the check.
quote]

:clap: :tiphat: Definately one of the 5 funniest things ever posted on CT. Been there done that MANY times :lol2:

OK here goes on pet names, a black Lab named Duke, a chow female named Tico, a male chow named Sam(my favorite of all time) a yellow Lab female named Ginger 14 yrs old and fading a bit more every day.A female yellow Lab named Bella (incredible hunter)........and my wife's favorite of all time(to be used for fishbait any day now) a gutsy Pomerainian named Bandit(also known not so affectionally as "Bandito,Chico,El Raton ratso rizzo,the little rat bas---d, and others too numerous and X-rated to mention.

and of course the Calico cat that adopted me named Honey. This does not mean I OWN a cat, I just get to live in her house.

3waycross":38od470d said:
pdfangus":38od470d said:
quote]

:clap: :tiphat: Definately one of the 5 funniest things ever posted on CT. Been there done that MANY times :lol2:

THANKS,
I consider that a complement. :tiphat:

All of our dogs get named but they end up receiving new names later as they earn them. Such as our 12 yr old lab is named Latte because she is chocolate, she now Dufus. Our 8 yr Akita is named Yoshi but will answer to knock it off... She growls A LOT. We just got a lab pup she's about a year old we named her Morgan she has earned the name "Monster dog".... And is why knock it off recently learned a new name.

Alan

We're not very creative with dog names, but the cats are another story. We've got this little housecat that was hit by a car and brought into the wife's work. She felt sorry for him and brought him home, thinking he was going to die. Blind in one eye, some serious head trauma and has no short term memory - best pet we've ever had. He's called Sped (Special Ed).

And then there's Beavis and Butthead...

dun":2t9nz2xf said:
...Has anyone noticed how some women get POed if you name a cow after them?
I have a daughter-in-law named Suzanne Johannah. When I named a cow Hannah she totally freaked out until my son explained to her what an honor it was and that it means she is "in." However, she is still upset about the one I call Floozanne! Women! Go figure!

My all-time favorite dog was a mutt that showed up that was marked like a tri-color beagle with the front leg set of a bulldog. Watched a lot of Hogan's Heroes back then and called him Schwartz.

Just name them whatever pops into my head at the time. I am a weiner dog person myself, and I've had a Snoopie, a Smokie, a Hawkeye, a Precious, a Lexi, a Little Man, a Ginger, a LuLu and a Coletrane.

Thinking of naming the next one Mr. Bean so I can call him my beaner weiner.

Latest posts