Dogs and Skunks...

Help Support CattleToday:

TN Cattle Man

Reaction score
Why is it that dogs seldom seem to learn from past mistakes with skunks? My Aussie "Bama" (can I get a Roll-Tide!) usually goes with me everywhere on the farm and loves to ride in the Gator with me as I check cows. This morning she wanted to get off at the gate so I let her run (she usually likes to run right alongside of the Gator). When I got to the next gate, I noticed that Bama was nowhere around... I proceeded to check some cows and as I am driving back, I spot Bama rolling viciously around on the ground... yelping and growling... desperately trying to rub something off of her face. As I got nearer... there it was! That Unmistakable aroma of Skunk! Apparently she took a direct hit to the face and now smells something fierce. Hopefully she will play in the creek today because her day with me is over. She did this exact same thing about a year ago and I thought she would have learned from her past mistake! :dunce:

Sometimes they need to be hit twice with the big stink.

1 box baking soda, 1 bottle peroxide and 1 bottle of Dawn ultra dish detergent. Make a paste, apply to the dog BEFORE the dog gets wet. Let it "set", then rinse.

I feel your pain.

Workinonit Farm":m78svd14 said:

1 box baking soda, 1 bottle peroxide and 1 bottle of Dawn ultra dish detergent. Make a paste, apply to the dog BEFORE the dog gets wet. Let it "set", then rinse.

I feel your pain.

You can try it, but I don't think there's anything that will really do much for being a bama fan. That kinda funk just don't wash off.

Back when I was a kid I went salmon fishing with my best friend and his dad. We did real well. So Hank (the dad) decided to have a picnic for the whole neighborhood with grilled king salmon fillets as the main coarse. Well the salmon heads etc got tossed down the canyon back of the barn. So roll around to Sunday and the whole neighborhood is there. All well dressed. Everybody is about to start eating and Tippy (the dog) is barking and barking. Hank tell us boys to go shut that dog up. We walk back there and peek over the edge of the canyon just in time to see Tippy kill a skunk who had been dining on left over salmon. The dog is happy to see us and runs up the hill. This normally black and white dog is mostly yellow from his battle with the skunk. We do the smart thing and run to get away from the dog. He follows us right into the middle of the picnic. He is a friendly dog, happy to greet all the guests. People scatter. Hank is yelling at us to lock that dog up. We aren't wanting to get anywhere near the dog but which is worse hank or the dog?

Funny that dog never did learn to leave skunks alone. He hated them with a passion and would kill everyone he could. He got locked in the barn a lot.

Workinonit Farm":28ymed0r said:

I feel your pain.

Thanks. I was trying to remember it to pass on.Works on Borders,too. :D