Dog staying off the road

Help Support CattleToday:

mcdowedd

Reaction score
We'd like to get a farm dog -we're worried about it going out on the road (busy main road about 300 ft. from the barn) and getting hit. Is there a best way to train a dog to stay away from the road or will we need some kind of fencing?

Fencing!! Not that "invisable" crap either..A dog can get in,fight your dog thro the fence out into the cold world..
Good,small hole wire,tight and strong..

a border to your dog is just what you want
they have to learn where they are allowed to be and that border is the edge -

back when I lived in town mine knew stay in the yard means don't go outside the fence even if the gate is open - unless I said it was ok to go (which wasn't often) this is important because gates are often left open
when one jumped the fence (she was taught to jump - agility competition) she was rudely picked up (75# :shock: ) and put back over the fence the way she went out - that only took one time - and her neighbor dog friend was always getting out and tempting her to run free too :roll:

mcdowedd":248ypgea said:
We'd like to get a farm dog -we're worried about it going out on the road (busy main road about 300 ft. from the barn) and getting hit. Is there a best way to train a dog to stay away from the road or will we need some kind of fencing?

Some it is is going to depend on the dog, and some of it is going to depend on you. The 'dog' part is that some dogs don't have much inclination to roam and some do. The 'you' part is how much of an investment you're willing to put into obedience training - especially time spent working with the dog. As part of working with the dog on commands, put him/her on a leash and walk it along the perimeter between your place and the road. Every time he crosses the boundary, correct him immediately. It won't take him long to get the idea. Once he has it down on the leash, put him on a longer rope and repeat - he knows he has more freedom so he will be a little more inclined to test boundaries, but you can still correct him. I would not take the next step until I knew he knew 'Come' regardless of the circumstances, but the next step is no leash or rope. Until then, a fence or pen is in order unless you can maintain control and keep him off the road.

I opt for some sort of fencing. Doesn;t need to be extensive but not only will it keep your dog in it will also keep unwanted varmints out.

dun

we live about 1000 feet from a road with semis on it all the time for the trucking company and feedyard next door and the dogs each timer they go to the road they go and look both ways and then run across to our pasture. no i am not joking they really do that

makes me happy i live in the middle of no where. i dont have this problem thankfully. (knock on wood) the ol' farm dog aint worth much but i still dont need to get it ran over. and the crap it drags up....... :roll:

my dogs are always bringing up calf parts, it was funny my step sister(city slicker) was down for mothers day and she has 2 shitzoes and they are like her kids and the dogs brought up a cow hoof and she thought it was a bone and she was throwing to them.( it was almost dark) and i walked up and i asked her y she was holding a hoof and i thought she was goin to puke [/url]

there musta been a dead deer along the creek or something cause that dumb dog drug up almost every dang piece into the yard. so now there's deer legs and the hide and even the head with a rack on it layin around. its so discusting. he'll drag it into the lots and just lay there and chew on it. they dont even bother him either. but he dont drag it out with him so i have to go in there and drag that nasty stuff out.

my city slick'n uncle has a shitzoe, or however you wanna spell it, and if that aint the most spoiled piece of crap. i still have yet to understand why city people love to spoil there dogs so much.

I'm with Dun and Peg on this.

My Daddy used to say, "Dogs will be dogs will be dogs." I know there are those that are highly trained, those that people say, "He/she knows better than to...," but I've never been willing to test it to the ultimate.

That's just my 2 cents.

Alice

wish i knew how to post a photo..i'd show you a border collie that won't chase a car...she was hit as a year old pup..spent over 6 grand to get her well....when she got home and running again...first thing she did was chase a car...we bought an electric collar and used it a time or two..3 years later she WON'T chase a vehicle...

Latest posts