Does she look finished?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rhune

Reaction score
She has been on cob with peas for about four weeks. ~ 15 lbs a day. This is the first heifer I have tried to finish. Input appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

ed7a22ad-88a3-4bbd-a058-23712b79588e_zpsxf12mvbl.jpg

1e56d440-4090-4892-94da-cb31392e4d1e_zpsvgkfnm8g.jpg

I agree with Butch, you are off to a good start. From the picture, it appears your heifer weighs 750 to 800 lbs. 15 lbs. of feed is about 2% of body weight and not on full feed. Slowly up her ration to 20 to 24 lbs. per day and feed her to mid March or April 1 would be better.

Here she is about a five weeks later. I am trying to give her 25 pounds a day. She will only eat 15-20. What do you guys think?

That's more like it! Fat around tailhead. Spongy cover on ribs? You're in business.

Thanks for the input guys. I was really trying to look at her udder to see if it was getting fat. It is probably just my untrained eyes, but I cant appreciate any fat there.

Wow, what a difference a few weeks made! thanks for the pics, very helpful to this newbie.

We have so far only finished our angus on grass. With just grass, would a heifer ever really look this? (We had a mama that did, but sold her thru the sale barn). The grass-fed heifer we butchered last year gave good meat but extremely lean. We will be doing a 2 yo steer this summer, for customers.

Rhune":36r6seqe said:
Thanks for the input guys. I was really trying to look at her udder to see if it was getting fat. It is probably just my untrained eyes, but I cant appreciate any fat there.
Black on black can trick the eye. There is fat depositing in that udder, it's always easier to see it around the tail head and pins.
She's looking much more delicious, good job.

Fun fact: So many white vehicles on the road, not because of white's popularity among consumers, but because of white's
popularity among manufacturers. White tricks the eye into overlooking minor defects on vehicles when new, such as loose
or crooked fits around hoods, trunks and door seams ect.

Son of Butch":3lsr719r said:
Rhune":3lsr719r said:
Black on black can trick the eye. There is fat depositing in that udder, it's always easier to see it around the tail head and pins.
She's looking much more delicious, good job.

Fun fact: So many white vehicles on the road, not because of white's popularity among consumers, but because of white's
popularity among manufacturers. White tricks the eye into overlooking minor defects on vehicles when new, such as loose
or crooked fits around hoods, trunks and door seams ect.

Thanks!, I guess I will have a closer look at her udder when we butcher her.

IMG_1688_zpskqsjajzg.jpg

IMG_1689_zpsyfmrxm8u.jpg

Butchered her today. Took some shots of her udder if anyone wanted the info. It was very hard for me to appreciate udder fat. However she had several inches of thick udder fat as you can see.

If you're really grain feeding a young heifer, it's almost a guarantee that she will have significant fat deposits in her udders...it's a reason why show heifers sometimes don't make the most profitable cattle.(for a cow/calf production operation).

Latest posts