does it pay to raise one up for butcher?

Help Support CattleToday:

I generally try to just eat elk meat. Doesn't always work out well. But on the other hand if I take my time I can always find a fat heifer at the sale barn cheaper than I can raise one. In fact I generally can buy a 1,000 pound heifer for less money than a 500 pound steer. I bring them home and put another 30 days of grain into them before I butcher. All that said I am now eating a heifer that tested PI positive. I grain fed her for 110 days. GF says it is the best beef she has eaten in a long time.

Dave":383yreqo said:
I generally try to just eat elk meat. Doesn't always work out well. But on the other hand if I take my time I can always find a fat heifer at the sale barn cheaper than I can raise one. In fact I generally can buy a 1,000 pound heifer for less money than a 500 pound steer. I bring them home and put another 30 days of grain into them before I butcher. All that said I am now eating a heifer that tested PI positive. I grain fed her for 110 days. GF says it is the best beef she has eaten in a long time.

I usually do what Dave and Birddog suggest. If I have a yearling that I know will be docked at the salebarn then I will feed for 90-120 days before processing and they have always tasted as good as the top dollar ones. If I don't have a discounted calf then I will do like Dave and buy a large heifer or steer at the salebarn. In the winter there will sometimes be a show steer that didn't make the cut come thru the ring. Around here usually no one has an order for a calf that size so the only bidders will be the buyers of packer bulls and they will only bid a bull price so one can get a good deal on them. Usually feed them 30-60 days. These usually turn out to be the most cost effective beef as you can buy most of the pounds at a large discount and only have to feed them for a short time.

Just got a call from the butcher. Looks like 287lbs meat cost me 194$. He was a jersey cross so he wasnt very big. I did not grain feed him very much.

Not to hijack this thread but what weight are you guys butchering? I kept a heifer that wasn't quite big enough to breed and I'm getting ready to butcher her in 3 weeks. She been on straight corn for about 45 days. I'm guessing she's a little over 1,000lbs right now but I'm not good at guessing weights.

Kscattle":1zfklltu said:
Not to hijack this thread but what weight are you guys butchering? I kept a heifer that wasn't quite big enough to breed and I'm getting ready to butcher her in 3 weeks. She been on straight corn for about 45 days. I'm guessing she's a little over 1,000lbs right now but I'm not good at guessing weights.
1500#

We butcher bulls only, less backfat and grow faster than steers - at least I've heard they do. Anyway, we butcher at frame score x 100 + 500lbs. 6 frame would be butchered at 1100lbs. lol, we get close, depends on when the butcher can get us in. Since we breed for marbling, bulls always ultrasound choice at yearling ( they go to salebarn if they don't marble). We feed high fiber not high energy. We have a special mix made so it's cheaper than store brands and I know whats in it!
Store beef just isn't the same.....a neighbor was just complaining about the cost and taste of store meat lol.
Blessings
Valerie

vclavin":3r4yfc0w said:
We butcher bulls only, less backfat and grow faster than steers - at least I've heard they do. Anyway, we butcher at frame score x 100 + 500lbs. 6 frame would be butchered at 1100lbs. lol, we get close, depends on when the butcher can get us in. Since we breed for marbling, bulls always ultrasound choice at yearling ( they go to salebarn if they don't marble). We feed high fiber not high energy. We have a special mix made so it's cheaper than store brands and I know whats in it!
Store beef just isn't the same.....a neighbor was just complaining about the cost and taste of store meat lol.
Blessings
Valerie

What taste?? :lol2:

TexasBred":3wric7g0 said:
vclavin":3wric7g0 said:
Blessings
Valerie

What taste?? :lol2:

You gotta point TB - them and store bought tomatoes... just the texture is different. lol
Blessings
Valerie

papavillars":jax34rtc said:
Yep, my dad always said store bought beef is why they developed steak sauce.
papa where does all this bad store bought beef come from? I have never talked to another cattle man who claimed his beef was bad, infact every single one of them seems to think the beef they raise, is far superior than that bought in stores. I wonder who raises the bad stuff?

We've been raising Longhorns for 12 years; butchered our own for past 11 years. All our LH's are grass fed, no supplements (except mineral & salt), no cubes, no bagged feed.

The ones we slaughter for steaks & roasts are under 24 months old and in the 700 to 800 lb range (steers, cows, heifers, or young bulls). Compared to "store" beef, we calculate one of the animals gives us about 250 lbs of packaged meat with a "store value" of around $1200 to $1500 (for our own consumption). Any older animals that no longer are breeding, etc., are turned into hamburger or summer sausage.

We slaughter one each year for the 2 of us...we eat a lot of beef. We also have processed (between 6 and 9 animals) at a USDA inspected facility and sell packaged beef at several Farmer's Markets. One animal can generate around $2,000 to $2,500 in beef sales (ranging with hamburger at $6.00 lb to tenderloin at $19.00 a lb.). Selling summer sausage at $10 to $12 a pound. Many repeat customers. The "sale barn" check for these animals would only be about $500 each...been there, done that. Note: slaughtered ones are those that are not suitable for registered breeders and/or those not wanted for our own breeding (replacement) program.

In a nutshell, yes, it is cost effective for us and we do make money on our USDA processed packaged beef sales with our lower inputs in our grass fed program.

What makes freezer beef better is the hanging time, and no additives at processing. If I was not going to trust a segment of the business it would not be where the calves come from, but how they are processed and presented to the customer.

Howdyjabo":yeam0b0j said:
What makes freezer beef better is the hanging time, and no additives at processing. If I was not going to trust a segment of the business it would not be where the calves come from, but how they are processed and presented to the customer.
Are you suggesting store bought beef shouldn't be trusted?

I raise my own beef, and I can't put a price on it, when you figure all your costs plus the time. You do it knowing you'll get quality meat, plus the enjoyment of raising your own beef. That being said, if you are only raising one animal, it is a somewhat long term commitment. If you are going to find yourself "tied down" with the animal, you may want to consider having someone you trust raise one for you. But if you have kids, it's a great way to get them involved with farming.

ibetyamissedme":25psjmqt said:
papavillars":25psjmqt said:
Yep, my dad always said store bought beef is why they developed steak sauce.
papa where does all this bad store bought beef come from? I have never talked to another cattle man who claimed his beef was bad, infact every single one of them seems to think the beef they raise, is far superior than that bought in stores. I wonder who raises the bad stuff?
Herewegoagain

Home grown meat is a lot better than what you get at the store. I have a calf around 500 lbs that got injured in his hind quarters. If he doesn't get better, before I give him away at the market he is going in the freezer. Also I have a Hereford calf that will be ready in 2015. From my experience Herefords taste better than any other.
hmm3grin2orange.gif

bvp1.jpg

Latest posts