Does Discharge mean heat?

Help Support CattleToday:

MRRherefords

Reaction score
I Ai'd a cow on July 7th. This morning I noticed that she had some clear discharge (not a lot) coming out of her vulva. Does this mean she was not bred? She shows zero other signs of heat. I was going to put her out with the cleanup bull this weekend, but will do it today if this is a sign of heat.

Bright Raven

Reaction score
There are different characteristics to discharges. Generally, if it looks like egg albumin (clear part of an egg), it is a cervical secretion associated with the estrogen levels during ovulation. If there are no other signs, it is a crap shoot.

Sometimes there are vaginal secretions and sloughing off of pieces of the cervical plug in pregnant cows. I don't know if anyone is an expert on all these discharges. Someone should write a book.

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
MRRherefords":b6xega9m said:
I Ai'd a cow on July 7th. This morning I noticed that she had some clear discharge (not a lot) coming out of her vulva. Does this mean she was not bred? She shows zero other signs of heat. I was going to put her out with the cleanup bull this weekend, but will do it today if this is a sign of heat.
Also a sign of leptospirosis

OP
OP
M

MRRherefords

Reaction score
Caustic Burno":1acztcj8 said:
MRRherefords":1acztcj8 said:
Also a sign of leptospirosis
Why would you think that? What other signs do I look for. She does not have a fever and acts completely normal. She is now with the rest of the herd and the clean up bull.

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Cause I am fighting vibrio right now from hogs. Clear discharge is a symptom cattle were vaccinated last fall. Going to semiannual versus yearly.
Just got back from the Vet for the battle plan

Latest posts