Does anyone like Appaloosa Horses?

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy":1zhag205 said:
no one likes appaloosas. they are pretty to look at but so were my exgirlfriends.
LoL beefy..thats a pretty good way to put it. Ive had 1 good speckled horse..and I say good becasue he was a good smooth ride...really worthless for anything else. When I get on a horse he needs to do whatever I decide we need to do...and he might need to do it all day long. Stick with a foundation bred REAL horse if you want something to do that...no offense Alan. LOL

I worked for a guy once who bought a young app mare. She would run you down in a heartbeat. He tried for a year to break her but she weren't having none of it. He finally sold her to a man who finally got her straightened out.

tapeworm":trw8b8p8 said:
Beefy":trw8b8p8 said:
no one likes appaloosas. they are pretty to look at but so were my exgirlfriends.
LoL beefy..thats a pretty good way to put it. Ive had 1 good speckled horse..and I say good becasue he was a good smooth ride...really worthless for anything else. When I get on a horse he needs to do whatever I decide we need to do...and he might need to do it all day long. Stick with a foundation bred REAL horse if you want something to do that...no offense Alan. LOL

No offense taken Tapeworm, but I would like to know what you know about my horses and breeding program, Why would you think I have anything but "real" Quarters and Paints. You should probably know what you are talking about before you start pointing fingers at other peoples stock. Okay maybe a little offense taking :D

You can pick on many things of mine without any harm, but leave my horses and dogs alone LOL.

Just to stay on subject, I also can say Appy's are near the bottom of my list also, right above mini's.

Alan

Alansaid: "No offense taken Tapeworm, but I would like to know what you know about my horses and breeding program, Why would you think I have anything but "real" Quarters and Paints. You should probably know what you are talking about before you start pointing fingers at other peoples stock. "

I said no offense Alan..I was just teasing you because I know you dont think much of Foundation horses...no point in you being a butthole about it. For your information you was the one that was bragginga bout your horses and your breeding program...4 or 5 weeks ago maybe?? the same posting where you was running down my foundation bred horses..I dont know how to find it but I know Im not dreaming it up. Dont forget your the one that braggeda bout your horses...bragged about your breeding program..and started pointing fingers at foundation stock as being old and out of date.Even though I didnt like you at first I was starting to think you might be a decent kind of horseman but you can just go to the devil if you cant even take a little picking on from somebody that was starting to like you

Alan":1ie3ghyq said:
This is one problem with appy's, in my opinion, some good ones, just as all breeds have some bad ones. But seems to me Appy's seem to be a bit more stuborn (evil). Not trying to start an argument but I have to disagree with the post that said to use the halter with knots in it (natural horseman halter) and the double up the halter with a neck rope type halter. You want something to give, not the neck muscles or risk a pole injury (horses pole).

I would get a car inner tube or a couple of bike inner tubes, deflated, tie them high on the stout tree and tie the lead rope to the inner tube, this to take some of the tension of the pulling. Use a slip knot for quick release if needed. Then get a lunge whip or long willow branch and give yourself lots of escape room. Tie her stand in back and to the side of her, so not to get kicked, and smack her lightly than harder when she pulls back, remember not to let yourself get mad, you need to quit smacking her the second she steps forward. Stay away from the kicking parts. You want a slip knot in case she goes stupid and goes down, but the inner tubes will stretch quit a bit. Your giving her negitive reinforcment for negitive actions, remember to give her positive reinforcment for postive actions.

JMO
Alan
I agree with you on the inner tube but would not reccommend using the whip or lunge line in this situation. Sparky-TN admits he/she is new to horses and the technique you suggest is not a good one for a new owner. Hey Sparky tie that ole app up with the inner tube as told by trainer Alan then let her fight it. The tube will give her the negative reinforncement (work) and her positive reinforcement will come when she stops fighting. (rest). Horses by nature are lazy and when she figures out that being tied and fighting is alot of work she'll stop and find that its pretty easy to just stand still. Don't let her over do it, watch the heat, but don't let her get away with it either. If an inexperienced person tries to get in the position of an experienced trainer someone is going to get hurt.
Sparky-TN go sell that one and find one of those BOMB PROOF ones :D

tapeworm":23lho459 said:
Alansaid: "No offense taken Tapeworm, but I would like to know what you know about my horses and breeding program, Why would you think I have anything but "real" Quarters and Paints. You should probably know what you are talking about before you start pointing fingers at other peoples stock. "

I said no offense Alan..I was just teasing you because I know you dont think much of Foundation horses...no point in you being a butthole about it. For your information you was the one that was bragginga bout your horses and your breeding program...4 or 5 weeks ago maybe?? the same posting where you was running down my foundation bred horses..I dont know how to find it but I know Im not dreaming it up. Dont forget your the one that braggeda bout your horses...bragged about your breeding program..and started pointing fingers at foundation stock as being old and out of date.Even though I didnt like you at first I was starting to think you might be a decent kind of horseman but you can just go to the devil if you cant even take a little picking on from somebody that was starting to like you

Well tapeworm I know you are confused, which explains your first post about my horses. I was running down appendix QH's and people who breed to a stud because it has a "pretty name or color" , I wasn't running down foundation QH's, While my horses are not strictly bred for foundation we stay away from anything with TB close up in the lines. We have plenty of good foundation lines up close and I'm proud of it. I knew you where picking fun at me, which is fine, but I also knew you where dead wrong about the foundation stuff.

I did say something along the lines of " I wonder if how a Leo would do today" or if we "have improved the lines so much he would be just a good, better than average horse". "Leo is so old in the pedigrees that you would be lucky to have him in the first 4 or 5 generations." But I wasn't bragging (too much :lol: ). (In the heat of the post you're talking about I may have bragged a little about my "fancy", as they where called, horses) I just believe if I'm going to put another animal on this earth I should make the best for the breed I can.

Alan

To head off any flak on appendix QH's, it's just my opinion that if a horse is 3/4 TB it's not a QH.

It's just my opinion,
Alan

Alan":2a66h9xd said:
To head off any flak on appendix QH's, it's just my opinion that if a horse is 3/4 TB it's not a QH.

It's just my opinion,
Alan
I dont mind saying when I agree with somebody even if its you Alan. LOL But you really need to look in the mirror if you want to see confused

I truely agree with Linda: I have had a few wild horses in my life, The worst was too be rescued, in which he was, Appaloosa,17.5 hands from the wilderness of Northern California,This was the challenge of lifetime.The reason why I agree with Linda using a lead rope and other resourses with among patience and time, Windancer is the best friend that I can count on; just a little insight during the summer time he gets my love just letting him in my house too enjoy the comfort of the fan< in the living room too be exact.Seek all resourses too your issues, just keep up the hard work, you will receive your reward with time; :heart:

:cboy:

LOVE MUH APPIES!!!!!!!!! :D

here is scooter....

scooter2.jpg

Imma a bare bronc rider and she sounds like muh taste :cboy:
Take her to a sale,,, a big one that is where all the rodeo guys are that will bid on them.... Sell her for rodeo... but I can tell you now I have never seen a bare bronc go for over 500 dollars. And that is gluepot price.

I guess... Unless you really want to work with her. But I can tell you now you had better get some advice from the pros.

I would not tie her up... just get her used to being around you and you get used to being around her. Respect her space and she will respect yours of course over time. Earning a horses respect is not a wham bam deal and it is the first step in getting a horse to feel comfortable around you. Once you respect their space they will respect yours. Go out everyday and try to catch her. Don't run at her or yell or anything just walkout and locate her take some grain in a coffee can and shake it around and call her name if she will let you or if she will even come up move around her real slow like and pet her and rub her on the neck to start with then move up and rub with withers calmly for a minute and then move back up the neck towards the neck staying away from ears and head and try to feed her from your hand then try to rub her on the forehead moving to the face of her slowly. Reassure the horse that you will not hurt it. If she spooks and acts like she is going to strike and if you can stay put and don't you spook but don't stay in dangers way make the horse know that you are not afraid of it and you hold your ground. As corny as this sounds the horse will respect that over time. If she is really really bad I would hobble her. In that I mean saddle up another horse just saddle no headstall or anything. Cinch it up tight and walk in around and re-cinch it and get the cinch TIGHT!! Get a lariat hope and get up to this crazy mare and rub her neck and stuff again and move town to her front legs petting and rubbing all the way down. Take the rope and put around her front legs (at top point of hooves standing in front of the horse at all times) and make sure it is secure and cannot fall off the horses legs. Take the other end of the hope and tie it securely around the saddle horn of the saddled horse and walk away (The crazy mare will have to go wherever the other horse wants to go). I would leave them like that for a couple of days of course checking on them periodically and that should take most of the fight out of the horse. I have done this is before and it has worked GREAT! Oh, if the crazy mare first rejects the hope when trying to tie it around her front legs rub her with the rope lightly on the neck, let her smell it and just let her think it will not hurt her. After the 2nd day or so I would untie the mare and try to lead her around while she is still wore out. Stick her in a small pin if you have one available and like I said earlier go out every time you get a chance and feed her pet her and spend time with her. Then once you are sure she is comfortable with you and you are comfortable with her saddle her up and try to ride her. Let me know if you have problems there. [email protected]

That should be about it let me know if you need anything else.

Good luck and god bless!!

Avery Wilson

Wilson_Cattle_Company":491aub0z said:
If she is really really bad I would hobble her. In that I mean saddle up another horse just saddle no headstall or anything. Cinch it up tight and walk in around and re-cinch it and get the cinch TIGHT!! Get a lariat hope and get up to this crazy mare and rub her neck and stuff again and move town to her front legs petting and rubbing all the way down. Take the rope and put around her front legs (at top point of hooves standing in front of the horse at all times) and make sure it is secure and cannot fall off the horses legs. Take the other end of the hope and tie it securely around the saddle horn of the saddled horse and walk away (The crazy mare will have to go wherever the other horse wants to go). I would leave them like that for a couple of days of course checking on them periodically

Your saying saddle up the horse and tie a front leg to the saddle horn and leave her for a couple of days? Aren't you asking for trouble? an injury is alot more likely to happen this way let alone a distroyed saddle.

I should say that I respect your input on this board a think you have a lot of good things to say so don't take offence to me disagreeing with you in a couple of areas.

I also don't think a horse will respect your area if you respect theirs, horses have to be taught to respect your area, so is most of the purpose of round penning a horse. I find horse, no matter how well trained, like to push the line to see how much they can get away with every few days or so. This may not be true with ranch horses since they are truly worked most everyday.

JMO
Alan

Wilson_Cattle_Company":2qnd6f7v said:
You are titled to your opinion. Your area has to be taught to the horse first before it can respect it but you have to teach it with care. I have hobbled and it has worked great. you use both front legs not just one.

Thank you

Your'e right, many ways to get to the same spot.

Thanks,
Alan

Maybe this is why you don't see many Appy's in the Rodeo ring.

I grew up just outside the Nez pearce Indian rez. they have the best appys, but then they started the breed and keep only the best of the best.

cowspider":2ymravqw said:
Maybe this is why you don't see many Appy's in the Rodeo ring.

I grew up just outside the Nez pearce Indian rez. they have the best appys, but then they started the breed and keep only the best of the best.

That's a great point! Well said for any breed.

Alan

I know its not a big deal but it bothers me when people say things like 17.5hh. There is no .5! It goes 17.0, 17.1, 17.2, 17.3, 18.0hh.

but that may be because i had one actively attack me. i worked on a ranch with 29 horses on a daily basis, and owned one, a beautifull 14 year old appy, had her a month, was wonderfully trained, rode and drove like a new bride. went out to the paddock one day to b ring her in to ride, and just went spaz, and kicked the stuffing out of me, had to be flown in the helicopter to the trauma center with multiple internal injuries, and a head injury. and no, i didn't corner her, and i'd never hit her, or abused her in any way, she just had a bug up her butt apparently.
i've been told though though that appies are a moody and stubborn breed, but whoa, thats way too moody for me !!
i'm getting a new horse finally, took me two years to want another, and this one is a paint, i pick him up next month, hopefully this will work out a whole lot better !!
glad you found a home for yours before something seriuos happened.
crickett

Latest posts