Does Anyone Know...

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
...how a pigs solid waste breaks down compared to human?

I'm toying with the idea of raising a few Berkshire pigs on a platform in an area where I have an existing septic system. It would be really handy if I could use that system to wash waste to it, but not sure of the breakdown rate. The system is large as I used to run a commercial kitchen with it and the county required me to install a Low-Pressure Dose System with 1,000 gal grease trap and two 250 gal septic tanks with one 250 gal pump tank. From memory I think there's 8 lines in the drain field.

dun

Reaction score
Years ago I installed a septic tank with leach lines for our pig pens. After 5 years we had never had to do anything to it, basicly the same as the house septic.

dun

Reaction score
slick4591":24uoil4l said:
How large and how many tanks?
Steady turn over of pigs from wean to butcher, about 6 pigs per pen. Tanks were around 5x5x5. Pens had concrete floors with a 6 inch wide 4 inch deep gutter running the length of it to the tanks. A slight sloe from the sides to the gutter. To keep them off the cold concrete I used heavy weight oak pallets with 1 inch plywood covering them. Waterers were via lick valves mounted in 55 gallon drums and filled by a hose when needed

dun

Reaction score
slick4591":3enlapvf said:
Thanks. I think I've found where the breakdown will be slower. Made need a macerator.
Maybe could speed it up with some of that septic tanksupplement you put in every few months. Feeds the microbes or some such.

farmerjan

Reaction score
Yeah, I think that the septic additive that increases the breakdown of solids would work pretty good. I used it at an old house that really needed the whole system replaced and it got me another 5 years out of the leach fields. Get the tank pumped and then use the additive that is for keeping the solids broken down. It's been years or I would tell you the name.

dun

Reaction score
farmboy80":3sbb15e7 said:
Rid-x is what we use in our house septic system. Once a month like clockwork. Seems to work, as far as I know.
That's the stuff!

ALACOWMAN

Reaction score
slick4591":32gfnjq2 said:
...how a pigs solid waste breaks down compared to human?

I'm toying with the idea of raising a few Berkshire pigs on a platform in an area where I have an existing septic system. It would be really handy if I could use that system to wash waste to it, but not sure of the breakdown rate. The system is large as I used to run a commercial kitchen with it and the county required me to install a Low-Pressure Dose System with 1,000 gal grease trap and two 250 gal septic tanks with one 250 gal pump tank. From memory I think there's 8 lines in the drain field.
your neighbors will let you know how good its working,, alacowman gonna garron'tee you that :cowboy:

OP
slick4591

slick4591

Reaction score
Before we tore the old barn down we raised some for the kids to show. Never had a complaint, but we raised them on sand and picked up daily. I figure I can rig some sort of a pan under the platform and wash everything down every day or so.

Latest posts