Does anyone know what this is ?

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
This is taking over a portion of my calf pen and I am gonna 2,4d the heck out of it hope it kills it. I am over seeding soon anyway so sorry clover you gotta go too with this stuff.

Don't know the name, but have you noticed it has peculiar smell as well? I have a little bit of it. Remedy killed mine.

I clipped the pastue and noticed it had a weird smell but didnt know it was that. I plan on spraying it with 2,4d and see what happens. It has almost like a strong almost like ragweed or onion smell if I remember correctly its been a month since clipping it. I will probably overseed with about 150 lbs on the acre that crap is on.

I think I have that and it does have a very pungent odor. I don't know what it is called but throw some sheep in there and it will be gone. It must taste good as they stay at it(ignoring everything else) unill they can't get their teeth on it any more.

greybeard":23ei7pyw said:
Dunno, but it looks like the same stuff I have in some moist areas--it will grow into a really heavy thick mat if left alone--hard on a bush hog and the cows won't touch it. We call it Knotgrass. It will absolutely take over if ya let it.

Here's your Tenn version of Knotgrass.
http://www.tennesseeturfgrassweeds.org/ ... =Knotgrass

Yea, that may be it but cows dont eat it and its ugly looking so im gonna spray it and try to choke it out with ky31. I havent seen that stuff anywhere else on my place just that one place it is beside the county ditch line. Did you spray yours grey ?

Howdyjabo":23ei7pyw said:
I think I have that and it does have a very pungent odor. I don't know what it is called but throw some sheep in there and it will be gone. It must taste good as they stay at it(ignoring everything else) unill they can't get their teeth on it any more.

if i knew someone with sheep id let them bring them cause they have alot of it to eat lol

ga.prime":2a6l698e said:
Looks kind of like Poor Joe, but Poor Joe doesn't have any smell.

I think that may be it not sure but do you think its possible to have a smell depending on what stage its in or height?

Around here we call that stuff wire weed and it will make milk bitter. Not sure what its nutritional value is, but putting beef cows on it a few times will pretty much kill it out in my experience.

artesianspringsfarm":mu3x3k6u said:
Around here we call that stuff wire weed and it will make milk bitter. Not sure what its nutritional value is, but putting beef cows on it a few times will pretty much kill it out in my experience.

My cattle wont eat the stuff at all.

We always called it peppermint grass. I don't know the official name. It has a very strong distinct odor (not really peppermint).

skyhightree1":1pwnkg44 said:
artesianspringsfarm":1pwnkg44 said:

You probably spoil them with that grass stuff I have heard so much about. :p. In my pastures it's a buffet of weeds so they pick which ones they feel like that day. I'm joking of course (kind of).

artesianspringsfarm":1im6ntt4 said:
skyhightree1":1im6ntt4 said:
artesianspringsfarm":1im6ntt4 said:

You probably spoil them with that grass stuff I have heard so much about. :p. In my pastures it's a buffet of weeds so they pick which ones they feel like that day. I'm joking of course (kind of).

:lol:

bigbluegrass":1im6ntt4 said:
We always called it peppermint grass. I don't know the official name. It has a very strong distinct odor (not really peppermint).

definately a strong weird smell

We had it around a pond when I was a kid and I fished that pond quite a bit. So I associate the smell of it with fishing. It is hard to see but you can sure smell it. Dad called it peppermint grass - so that is what I call it. I did a search for peppermint grass and got nothing. I am sure there is an official name, but I don't know it.

2 4 d wins this battle although I either missed spots or 2 oz to each gallon wasnt enough to burn these weeds although it burnt every other weed up. I guess I will have to go over it again this weekend and im gonna try 5 oz to a gallon.