Dodge transmission question

Help Support CattleToday:

Ned Jr.

Reaction score
I have a 99 Dodge 1 ton 4X4 with a Cummins and a 5 speed manual in it and have had 5 gear go out twice. I know this is a common problem with the 5 speed tranny's. Now it's popping out of 1st gear.

I'd like to have a 6 speed tranny put in but my local mechanic says I'd have to get the front and rear drive line, new transfer case, bell housing and a new floor plate for the shifter to go threw. Then he said it may not be compatible with my computer and may have to replace it. He said it would probably run me around $8,000 all said and done. Does anyone know if all that is for sure true? He's recommending buying a remanufactured 5 speed and said he could buy one and put it in for around $2,500.

Swapping the 6 speed in sounds about right..having to swap all the other stuff. 1998.5 was when Dodge went computor on most everything.
I am curious as to why you were losing 5th gear? Was it the nut backing/stripping off? Thought they had it fixed by 99. I had a 97 with that same problem @ 200k and 5 fixes, I swapped and Allison auto in.
They do have a new main shaft for the tranny to fix the 5th gear problem, there is a guy here locally that rebuilds the tranny's and sells them if interested, I can get you his number.
The 5spd is a NV 4500 and 6spd is nv5600, two totally different trannies, lengths, etc...thats why you would have to get new t-case,driveshafts etc. Now Advanced Adapters might make and adapter to swap the tranny and keep the rest of the driveline?

I didn't think the Tcase had to be replaced (I could be wrong though), yes the drivelines have to be replaced.

'99 is plenty new enough, mine's a '94, and yes the 5th gear nut backed off on me once, and another time the 5th gear drive gear C clip popped and the bottom half of the assembly came undone. I've had the tranny out 3 times (once for the clutch) in about 50,000 kms, but it seems to be doing well now that I've gotten everything settled. if it's popping out of gear, most likely it's the syncro rings that are worn, Mine was doing that when I was jaking in 5th, and I replaced the synchro and it's all fine now

My mechanic felt like he had 5 gear fixed so it wouldn't be a problem anymore but now with it jumping out of first gear I think I will just get a rebuilt one. I went on the dieselbombers site and did a search on the subject. It sounded like my mechanic was right. Pretty extensive and expensive to swap. I think I'd get just about more into it than the truck is worth. If I can just get by a little longer the plan is to get a new one next year.

Thanks everyone!!!