docking for ear

Help Support CattleToday:

boone

Reaction score
Cattle with ear are common in the south and docked in the north. Where do you think the transition stops/starts? Tell me where you would draw an imaginary east to west line about where the change takes place. Boone

I still see 1/4 ear get docked around here. Brangus cows were higher than cats back Saturday at San Saba special sale.

boone":1jejh3z8 said:
Cattle with ear are common in the south and docked in the north. Where do you think the transition stops/starts? Tell me where you would draw an imaginary east to west line about where the change takes place. Boone
Just as any "Line of Demarcation" is vague and transitory, depending on seasonal swings and breed fads, this suggested line is probably 100 hundred miles or so wide at various places, but lets begin it about 35 or 36 degrees latitude at about Norfolk, VA. and continuing westerly along that line dividing Virginia and North Carolina, Kentucky and Tennessee, Missouri and Arkansas, then angling Southwest from about Miami, Oklahoma through Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Texas, Clovis, NM, Roswell, NM, and dying out about there because of the increased altitude and cooler climate in the winter. But "Ear" can be found sprinkled around in the Southwestern states in lesser degrees than in the truly "HOT and HUMID" parts of the country. But that is fair representation of the area where it can be found without really 'looking' for it.

DOC HARRIS

When selling feeder calves through the salebarns here in Alabama, Brahman influenced calves are docked. It's not just an occurrence that is limited to the northern states.

Latest posts