Do you like Tractor Supply Co ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Fred

Reaction score
They don't have any in Louisiana. I went in one in Tennessee and it seems like a neat place, lots of stuff.

No I support the Guys like Crowder who are there to support me. I have one that will open the doors in the middle of the night for any kind of emergency you might have.

Caustic Burno":bon3yzlx said:
No I support the Guys like Crowder who are there to support me. I have one that will open the doors in the middle of the night for any kind of emergency you might have.

Dang shame most places like that have been run off by the big dogs around here.

ABout the same here. Can't even get grade 8 bolts since Home Depot put all the little guys out of business and they stock nothing in Grade 8 bigger than 1/2 inch. I go to TSC in Fort Worth or Weatherford and buy bolts.

We once had maw and paw businesses all over the place.

Caustic Burno":2mwpluxl said:
Caustic, That has got to be one of the greatest statements of ALL TIME.We've opened the Store up more times than I can count for any immaginable situation that can happen on a Farm/ Ranch.Just the other night I got a call at 11:00PM a man needed a tube feeder, and Colostrum.There's no allegience much anymore with loyalty to the little guy in this Country.Too many have a Wal-Mart mentality... Cheaper is better, our prices are LOWER than TSC on a lot of items. People want the cheapest Feeds. Minerals, Supplements etc. Not the better one's that provide real nutrition, vitamins, energy and so forth.Thank the good Lord, we have a customer base that wont go anywhere else.Bout the only thing TSC offers is cheap T-posts, and Barb wire. We can beat them to death in the quality dept. and slaughter them in the service zone!We carry out and load all feeds, whether the buyer is 18 or 80.I know we're like a Dinosaur, and sooner or later our time will come, when the old timer's are gone, and the younger generation WONT take on the Legacy of AG related business.The average TSC employee does not know the difference between Triangle 9 and Trace minerals.

We use them when we have too, but usually try to support our 2 local places if possible. Sometimes our local guys are a little higher but I will pay a little to save the drive, plus hopefully it will help them be around for a while. When I bought my chute I wanted a Priefert and told our local guy I was wanting one. He had WW in stock but did not like, he called later said he could get the one I wanted and actually was cheaper than Rural King.

Plus they know who you are, we call and get them to leave stuff out all the time.

tom4018":28cn21q0 said:
We use them when we have too, but usually try to support our 2 local places if possible. Sometimes our local guys are a little higher but I will pay a little to save the drive, plus hopefully it will help them be around for a while. When I bought my chute I wanted a Priefert and told our local guy I was wanting one. He had WW in stock but did not like, he called later said he could get the one I wanted and actually was cheaper than Rural King.

Plus they know who you are, we call and get them to leave stuff out all the time.
We can get bout' any brand of anything. We have several large suppliers, that can cover us with brands like Priefert. If someone wants it, you have to be able to get it.You cant afford to lose the sale, or dissappoint the customer.

I know it's not the case with you guys, but I'll tell you I personally know a lot of people that cry about the failure of the mom and pops, and yet they are the first ones that run to TSC or Walmart to save a nickle. I pay almost a dollar a bag more for range cubes from a locally owned feed store than I could get them at TSC. But the ol' boy that owns that feed store will open up at ten o'clock at night and on Sundays if I need something, and he's always got a fresh pot of coffee waiting. But not everyone's willing to put their money where their mouth is!

bullred":amketwm6 said:
I know it's not the case with you guys, but I'll tell you I personally know a lot of people that cry about the failure of the mom and pops, and yet they are the first ones that run to TSC or Walmart to save a nickle. I pay almost a dollar a bag more for range cubes from a locally owned feed store than I could get them at TSC. But the ol' boy that owns that feed store will open up at ten o'clock at night and on Sundays if I need something, and he's always got a fresh pot of coffee waiting. But not everyone's willing to put their money where their mouth is!
Good shot Bullred. We go through about 3 -4 gallons of Coffee a day.Everyone knows how to get a hold of me here, in an emergency. ;-)

There is also the internet. I get spare hydraulic hose from eBay at minimum bids. If I blow a hose, I am back up quickly if I have a spare.

Wish I had a store like Crowder's here. I have never bought feed at TSC. Both feed stores I use are little drive throughs. I have indeed bought lots of bearings,PTO parts, U-Joints, hydraulics and such. I like the store for one stop shopping.

Crowder do you have a mill? Seems like all the mills are becoming extinct too around here. Peanut drier shut down too. This area is becoming a residential bedroom community around here like a bush fire on a windy day.

backhoeboogie":2gdvxaez said:
There is also the internet. I get spare hydraulic hose from eBay at minimum bids. If I blow a hose, I am back up quickly if I have a spare.

Wish I had a store like Crowder's here. I have never bought feed at TSC. Both feed stores I use are little drive throughs. I have indeed bought lots of bearings,PTO parts, U-Joints, hydraulics and such. I like the store for one stop shopping.

Crowder do you have a mill? Seems like all the mills are becoming extinct too around here. Peanut drier shut down too. This area is becoming a residential bedroom community around here like a bush fire on a windy day.
Backhoe, We dont have a Mill.There's one about 20 miles away that Grinds only on Wednesday.I've thought about buying the equipment, but it does not weigh out in the $$ areas.There's another Mill a little further away making "Junk" feeds.I agree on the aspect of Ebay, you can make some good buys there. I dispose of some items on there myself.What wont sell real fast around here, might sell like wildfire in another area.

One of my favorite places in the world is the Feed and Grain store in the neighboring county. I can call down there and tell them what I need and that I can't be there before they close. They'll set the feed, minerals, etc. on the loading dock and I pick it up and pay 'em later. The big guys won't do that.

Crowderfarms":2qjokde2 said:
Caustic Burno":2qjokde2 said:
Caustic, That has got to be one of the greatest statements of ALL TIME.We've opened the Store up more times than I can count for any immaginable situation that can happen on a Farm/ Ranch.Just the other night I got a call at 11:00PM a man needed a tube feeder, and Colostrum.There's no allegience much anymore with loyalty to the little guy in this Country.Too many have a Wal-Mart mentality... Cheaper is better, our prices are LOWER than TSC on a lot of items. People want the cheapest Feeds. Minerals, Supplements etc. Not the better one's that provide real nutrition, vitamins, energy and so forth.Thank the good Lord, we have a customer base that wont go anywhere else.Bout the only thing TSC offers is cheap T-posts, and Barb wire. We can beat them to death in the quality dept. and slaughter them in the service zone!We carry out and load all feeds, whether the buyer is 18 or 80.I know we're like a Dinosaur, and sooner or later our time will come, when the old timer's are gone, and the younger generation WONT take on the Legacy of AG related business.The average TSC employee does not know the difference between Triangle 9 and Trace minerals.

You get what you pay for. And service is a big part of that equation. Keep up the good work, Crowder.

I'll go to TSC when I can't find something anywhere else. It is frustrating though, because there are two in my area and they aren't always stocked very well. My H will buy his jeans there. We try to use the local feed and hardware stores and do as much business as we can in our town to support the local economy.

Lammie":2hiovuaf said:
I'll go to TSC when I can't find something anywhere else. It is frustrating though, because there are two in my area and they aren't always stocked very well. My H will buy his jeans there. We try to use the local feed and hardware stores and do as much business as we can in our town to support the local economy.

Lammie, Didn't you do all your Christmas shopping there? :lol:
(Please don't shoot me if you ever meet me)

TSC does stock T-Posts that are longer than 6 foot. Forgot that earlier. Seems most others only stock 6 foot long ones. I have bought quite a few T-Posts and wire panels as well from TSC. They also have parking lots that I can pull a trailer in easily, unlike Lowes or Home Depot.

Lowes and Home Depot put quite a few local hardware stores out of business.

TSC has a free "Blue Book" product catalogue/catalog. There is a lot of information on animals. Gestation tables, innoculation frequencies, and the like. There is also some basic how to's for fencing and such. Some of the ideas are good. Some of the stuff I wouldn't do.

I always considered TSC was for the urban owner.
You pull up to my Crowders and the first thing you here is what do you need Caustic. I can say put on my bill, deliver it, pay for it then. Also when I go to my Crowders I am not looking for Wranglers and Cowboy hats. Yeah they sale t-post the Mickey Mouse kind the light weight things that bend not the good heavy duty. If you ask for help good Lord help you get someone that doesn't know chicken feed from horse.
The most amuseing thing is I have never seen a TSC actually in the country they are always in the larger towns and cities here. So I think I will stick with the experts and the one that brought me to the dance.

Fred":2j5dcbht said:
They don't have any in Louisiana. I went in one in Tennessee and it seems like a neat place, lots of stuff.

I agree that they have "lots of stuff", but that's all the positive remarks about TSC that you'll get from me.

I much prefer the local co-op, they have "lots of stuff" too, but usually a bigger variety at better prices and far better service. The staff at the co-op are familiar with the products they sell, know where to find it, can answer any questions about "whatever", are courteous and generally all-around more knowledgeable about farming/ranching needs.
There was a very long thread/discussion about TSC several months ago on these boards.

Katherine

They have 3 feed stores in my area. Two of them that I mostly use sold out to new owners after about 50 years in business. It's nice to buy from the Mom and Pop but I wish my New Holland dealer had some competition for his high priced parts for my old Ford 5000. Times change and I like to save a dollar where I can.Lots of supplies at the feed store are way too high compared to what I can pay off the internet like Jeffers. Of course, if the owner at the feed store is knowlegeable and helps you out that is worth a lot.