Do you always get lightening when it rains

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":2qe6tjji said:
M-5":2qe6tjji said:
We get alot of rain without lightin
Yup, and lightning with out rain
Surely.

It seems to me we get lightening more often with rain in Arkansas than we did in the Carolinas. We were 150 miles inland.

We have only had lightening once or twice in the past 8 or 10 years. Lots of rain without lightening but I always enjoy a good lightening storm.

Alan":25o7yo5b said:
We have only had lightening once or twice in the past 8 or 10 years. Lots of rain without lightening but I always enjoy a good lightening storm.
Funny you should mention that. When I was a yonker in seattle we had neighbors that had moved there from the midwest. When ever the lightning started they headed to their basement to hide.

We get lighting and a bunch of it. I hate lighting. Had a fella hit and killed just last week at the beach. When I worked for the school district a teacher at a ESE center had got all his kids into the classroom because he saw lighting, one of the kids left something outside so he ran out to get it. Yep, he got hit it didn't kill him but he told me after he got out of the hospital that a quarter in his pocket had left a brand on his leg. He was a blessed man not many live through something like that. Of course our annual rainfall is 65.3 inches so far this year we have had over 47 inches heck we have already had 9.23 this month and it's still pretty early in the month. We are still waiting to get a second cutting of hay. The quality is going down daily and the forecast for the next 13 days is over 40% :cry2: if we get rain this time of year we usually get lighting with it. Lately we have had a lot of lighting.

Gizmom

Depends on the time of year here. Winter, not much lightning. Summer, when a cool front comes in, or spring when it's warmed up and another late frontal boundary comes down the pike, yeah--lots of sky fire.
Rained tonight for about 3 hours, with the first hour thunder and lightning.
we needed, but of course, the electricity just went off too. :(

HDRider":kmptb6wo said:
I have always wanted to see lightening during a snow storm.
We've had that a couple of timess over the years. We call it "thunder snow"

hillbilly beef man":3t5nvx9f said:
dun":3t5nvx9f said:
HDRider":3t5nvx9f said:
I have always wanted to see lightening during a snow storm.
We've had that a couple of timess over the years. We call it "thunder snow"

When it happens it always seems like it is coming a wet heavy snow that tears up the dickens.
That is such a pretty area when it snows. I lived in Morristown, and it looked like Currier and Ives when it snowed. Didn't get a lot of snow there.

dun":mnpjirmm said:
Alan":mnpjirmm said:
Funny you should mention that. When I was a yonker in seattle we had neighbors that had moved there from the midwest. When ever the lightning started they headed to their basement to hide.

We get few lightening storms I really don't perceive much danger in my mind, I do know not to stand under a tree or stick a golf club in the air while lightening is around...... Tornadoes are very rare also, so I guess I would stand and start at one until it was too late also.

Alan":3bgeg7m8 said:
dun":3bgeg7m8 said:
Alan":3bgeg7m8 said:

We get few lightening storms I really don't perceive much danger in my mind, I do know not to stand under a tree or stick a golf club in the air while lightening is around...... Tornadoes are very rare also, so I guess I would stand and start at one until it was too late also.
When I was a kid and farmed for my uncle in the boot-heel of Missouri we would sit in lawn chairs with binoculars and watch tornadoes. You could always tell when they touched ground. They went from white to black.

There was many a time when we would gather some older folks and take them to the storm shelter.

HDRider":1fqxs5v9 said:
When I was a kid and farmed for my uncle in the boot-heel of Missouri we would sit in lawn chairs with binoculars and watch tornadoes. You could always tell when they touched ground. They went from white to black.
We did the same thing when I lived out in San Angelo Texas. Lived on a bluff and could see clear over into Irion County.
Lawn chairs, binoculars and beer under clear skies and sunshine while a mile away looked like hell had opened up. I miss that open area, but don't miss the weather radio and sirens going off in the middle of the night.

(We got 4 1/2" of rain between 5:30 pm yesterday and sun up this morning. :clap: :clap: A good chance for some more later today. )

We are getting the perfect rain. Got an inch yesterday, and an inch and a half today. Nice slow rain.

gizmom":3iptu4nt said:
We get lighting and a bunch of it. I hate lighting. Had a fella hit and killed just last week at the beach. When I worked for the school district a teacher at a ESE center had got all his kids into the classroom because he saw lighting, one of the kids left something outside so he ran out to get it. Yep, he got hit it didn't kill him but he told me after he got out of the hospital that a quarter in his pocket had left a brand on his leg. He was a blessed man not many live through something like that. Of course our annual rainfall is 65.3 inches so far this year we have had over 47 inches heck we have already had 9.23 this month and it's still pretty early in the month. We are still waiting to get a second cutting of hay. The quality is going down daily and the forecast for the next 13 days is over 40% :cry2: if we get rain this time of year we usually get lighting with it. Lately we have had a lot of lighting.

Gizmom
Isn't Florida the leading state for lightning?
Had some friends with horses in Florida and it seemed like every time there was a cloud in the sky they hurried to get the horses in the barn.

We have had very little lightning in my part of Middle GA this summer until tonight. Had bad lightning, but got a good rain. Usually if we get rain, it comes with a lot of lightning. I remember my mother saying you have to have lightning to get a good rain, especially in the summer. I find that true this year not much rain, little lightning.

Latest posts