Do it or Not

Help Support CattleToday:

bubchub

Reaction score
We run a crossbred herd with a lot of angus and brangus influence along with some red. We run a Brahman and a Limousin bull on them. I ahve been wanting some Brahmans for a while to raise some F1s. I found some that are 3-5 years old and all are bred to Herefords for $1200 delivered. So dad says I can keep the herd we have now or sale all the cattle and buy the brahmans. Would somone give me some expert advice on what would be the wisest decision? I really like our herd now because I know them all and we have had them for 4 years or they have been raised by me.

If I had a cow herd that I liked, I surely would not swap
them for a herd that I knew nothing about. It's hard to
find a bunch of likeable cows these days.

The cow market at the sale barn is not very good right now down here. You're not really getting your hybrid vigor with a Brahma on brangus. Are you breeding your brangus to the limi? Depending on what your calves are bringing, you could make more money staying with what you got, being that you probably don't have very much in them. You already know the history on your females, cull your bottom end and then maybe buy a few brahma if you want.

If you have an easy handling herd you may not want the "excitement" of a bunch of F1's. I started with Longhorns and have gone to raising Brahman x Angus F1's and I am finding a big difference in temperment. :eek:

bubchub":1tnh0l15 said:
I really like our herd now because I know them all and we have had them for 4 years or they have been raised by me.
You answered your question right here,if you like what you have then why wouldn't you keep them?

I would not trade. $1200 is actually pretty steep for cattle right now. We are picking up 14 bred 4-6 yr old reg. blk brangus cows on Sunday for $900 each. Either wait, or keep looking.

No way I'd give $1200 for cows right now and our weather situation is much better than yours. We've got plenty of hay, rain and pasture and I wouldn't go anywhere near that price. Believe I'd play the hand I was holding !

Good Brahman cows usually sell for a bit of a premium and I'm sure it is tempting to think about getting into the business of raising tigerstripes (well, at least the tiger heifers). But all things considered I think if I were you I'd keep your crossbred cows, sell the Brahman & Limo bulls and get some good Charolais bulls to raise really growthy, terminal calves (assuming you have something for them to put in their bellies :( )

Alright I have talked it over with Dad and we are going to keep the existing herd. I know it sounds crazy to have the Brahman bull but he was bought last year when most of the herd was Hereford and we were going to start raising Tigers. When the drought hit, we culled the bottom 50-60% and the Herefords were the worst. Most were getting old and they didn't produce enough milk to grow a good calf. 95% of our hered is less than 1/8th Brahman so we kept the Brahman bull to add some milk to our replacement heifers. We have had awesome looking calves and the first bull calf that we just recently sold we for around $600 and he was over well over half brahman and NOT castrated. So we will keep the brahman as the calves are doing better than the calves we had out of our numerous anguses in the past. The Limo bull is mainly for our heifers and to keep the Brahman busy. He is a little runt but his calves look 10 times better than the anguses did. We are still planning on buying Brahmans inthe near future once we finish fencing another piece of property.

I have a couple but it may take a little bit. School started today and I'm going to have to get readjusted to the schedule, :)

Latest posts