do horses need companion?

Help Support CattleToday:

jvicars

Reaction score
i have a 10 yr old qh mare which is new to me. i have been told horses enjoy another in the pasture but i have been always told its better to have 1 for the rider?

question: is there any benefit to having 2 vs 1 ? Besides 2 horses to ride.

also i was told to get another mare if i currently have one vs a gelding?

not sure whats true or fiiction.

Horses are herd animals. They like having company. Doesn't have to be a horse although it's probably the best if you find the right horse. Sometimes its a donkey, calf, goat, etc. Sometimes the wrong horse can a worse problem. If at all possible try them together for a week or before deciding to keep the new pal. Also if possible let them be close but separated by a good fence for a day or two before turning them in together.

Friend of mine uses a retired bucking bull as a pasture buddy. His horse and bull are inseparable.

my mare fell in love with my ffa steer last year. when i moved my steer to a different pen they bawled/nickered for eachother for several days, and they could still see eachother! just not touch. she has a baby calf she is taking care of right now so she is pretty happy.

as for the gender of the horses you keep i think you will have less problems with a mare and a gelding than if you had two mares. geldings tend to be easygoing and pay less attention to the mare, rather than the mares squealing at eachother. jmo

If the animal is going to be spending a lot of time just standing around, a companion of some kind (even a goat will work) is a good idea. If the horse is being worked and hauled around a lot and/or you can spend lots of time and therefore BE the companion, then no not needed.

goats are loud ! our neighbor got one and it drove us all nuts til they got rid of it. They do like a buddy though !

kscowboy":37xzlbhw said:
goats are loud ! our neighbor got one and it drove us all nuts til they got rid of it. They do like a buddy though !

Goats like buddies too!

problem with goat is keeping them in with the horse. i have goats and they can get out unless its all hog wire. thanks for comments.

flaboy":2m1zs8kp said:
Goats like buddies too!

blahboy, I tried to find a joke with an old goat in it(to make you feel good an all), but kept hitting these weird sites with a Little Johnny charactor in the jokes and I just knew I couldn't put THOSE on this forum. So heres the best I could do:

Why is it hard to carry on a conversation with a goat? Because they're always budding in. ;-) HA

MistyMorning":1a3fwft8 said:
flaboy":1a3fwft8 said:
Goats like buddies too!

blahboy, I tried to find a joke with an old goat in it(to make you feel good an all), but kept hitting these weird sites with a Little Johnny charactor in the jokes and I just knew I couldn't put THOSE on this forum. So heres the best I could do:

Why is it hard to carry on a conversation with a goat? Because they're always budding in. ;-) HA

maybe flaboy's real name is little johnny? maybe he created those sites? :lol: :lol: :lol:

just trying to earn points for the ladies team!

Miss Daisy":2jir1x74 said:
MistyMorning":2jir1x74 said:
flaboy":2jir1x74 said:
Goats like buddies too!

maybe flaboy's real name is little johnny? maybe he created those sites? :lol: :lol: :lol:

just trying to earn points for the ladies team!

Yeah, go on girls and just destroy my ego, ruin my image, crash my self esteem. I will still be six foot tall, bullet proof, six pack abs, and Brad Pit wants to look like me. :lol:

flaboy":2v5s8oy5 said:
Yeah, go on girls and just destroy my ego, ruin my image, crash my self esteem. I will still be six foot tall, bullet proof, six pack abs, and Brad Pit wants to look like me. :lol:

Say blahboy are you sleepwalking again? I heard the nurses from the "old goats home" are looking for you. They want to prep you for your colonoscopy and said that since you seemed to like it so well last time, they were going to cut back on the drugs this time :p

Miss Daisy, what can I say, you are an inspiration! What are you doing the months of Jan, Feb, March? Some of us gals are taking a little trip, maybe you would like to join us :D

Since horses are herd animals it is nice if they have some type of companion, preferably another horse, but that isn't always possible. If it was me I would try to find a companion animal. Is it necessary, no, but your horse would greatly appreciate it and do better.

well i took the plunge head first as usual. i bought a 2.5 yr old gelding qh. small house maybe even a pony but close.

i did not plan to buy young but i saw the horse at a friends. sort of like Mr Ed. Moves the lips alot and real friendly. Went back the next day got tack on him. walk my older one around a pen with him on a lead rope. He took a bit even from me and I never have luck putting a bit in.

Real even horse for a 2.5 gelding. I know he is young for riding but its just my kids in a round pen with me. real good on the ground but oddly he has not clue how to lounge.

i put a trash bag on the end of a lounge whip and got him going. he knows walk and that is it so far. a bit of a project but a real nice manner horse so far.

my mare was interested and they ran around the pasture a bit but she seems to be good with him so far.

Latest posts