Do coyotes eat small dogs? Yes

Help Support CattleToday:

JWBrahman

Reaction score
22549607_1696461523699884_1473001038562743861_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes even larger dogs. One coyote will lure a dog away from the buildings and then the pack will surround the dog. Been there, farmguy

The town folk are having heck with the coyotes and bobcats making meals out of their dogs and cats. There's so many that animal control can't keep up and when they do trap them they just relocate.

I wonder if the coyotes are having the mirror image of this discussion...... You gotta watch em. They'll send a dog in to lure you away, and then they'll shoot you in the face!

Last edited by a moderator:
A coyote can smell a crazy cat lady from 50 miles away. We had the classic country cabin that was home to an old widow and a few dozen cats perched on her porch. They were killing everyone's chickens.

Now she has a little dog she watches like a hawk. Haven't seen a cat at her place in 10 years.

Been a few years ago now, but the barn cat, ventured down to the patio. I was finishing a bowl of vanilla ice cream, and flicked him a spoon full. Went in and sat down. Stupid cat stays at the patio door meowing for a while, and I ignore him. See the thing clawing at my door, so I get up to run him off. As I approach the door, I see a coyote has belly crawled to the patio, and is about to get the cat.

It is well known in this area that domestic cats are one of coyotes preferred meals. I saw a video of a retirement trailer park, somewhere in Florida, where they had video taped coyotes grabbing some of the small pet dogs and carrying them off. Residents were warned to be careful as they had gotten so bold that one grabbed a little dog on a leash and the owner was beating it off with a cane....Said it had become a real problem and people were warned not to walk their dogs after dusk.... and to be careful that they didn't get themselves in a compromised situation as the coyotes had no fear of humans....

One of the reasons there is such a coyote problem is in some areas is that the animal rights people have fought tooth and toenail to get hunting and trapping banned, and the coyote numbers have exploded, and they no longer fear humans..
Yeah, they "catch and release" they catch and release problem animals in rural areas for US to deal with.. Grrrr,
Yeah and foxes will eat cats too..
Had a wolf eat one of my dogs years ago...
No, they are not "nice puppies" that just eat sick and dead animals, and guess what ?
Some of them get HUGE.
I have seen both the smaller wolves that look like overgrown german shepards/ huskies, and I have seen the HUGE northern wolves that look like "Godzilla". and I mean HUGE.
I have seen more than a few that when skinned out and hung on a wall look like small yearling black bear for size, except they have a long tail. --NOT joking.
I have a picture somewhere of a huge snow white wolf that is hung on a neighbors wall, you would be amazed at the size.
Years ago a neighbor was plowing his drive way, and he quit for lunch. When he came back there was fresh wolf tracks where he had plowed. The wolf lifted his leg and took a pee. The neighbor took a measuring tape and measured from where the pee hit the snow to the ground and it was 30 inches.,
I knew this man well, and I have seen the wolf tracks that look like cougar tracks, except they have toenails in the track- toes--cougars pull them in. I have seen some of these wolves myself, so I don't care what the 'nay-sayer- say at all..
and yes they WILL eat people, they had my sister surrounded in the bush once and she backed her way to her vehicle.. She was on the menu..
I have seen coyotes that were waaay bigger than normal, and there are no dogs to cross with, and I am thinking they are crossing with wolves.
I know back east that is happening according to DNA testing, and I think it is happening here from the size of the "coyotes"..

Nite Hawk":34ddrp7f said:
One of the reasons there is such a coyote problem is in some areas is that the animal rights people have fought tooth and toenail to get hunting and trapping banned, and the coyote numbers have exploded, and they no longer fear humans..
Yeah, they "catch and release" they catch and release problem animals in rural areas for US to deal with.. Grrrr,
Yeah and foxes will eat cats too..
Had a wolf eat one of my dogs years ago...
No, they are not "nice puppies" that just eat sick and dead animals, and guess what ?
Some of them get HUGE.
I have seen both the smaller wolves that look like overgrown german shepards/ huskies, and I have seen the HUGE northern wolves that look like "Godzilla". and I mean HUGE.
I have seen more than a few that when skinned out and hung on a wall look like small yearling black bear for size, except they have a long tail. --NOT joking.
I have a picture somewhere of a huge snow white wolf that is hung on a neighbors wall, you would be amazed at the size.
Years ago a neighbor was plowing his drive way, and he quit for lunch. When he came back there was fresh wolf tracks where he had plowed. The wolf lifted his leg and took a pee. The neighbor took a measuring tape and measured from where the pee hit the snow to the ground and it was 30 inches.,
I knew this man well, and I have seen the wolf tracks that look like cougar tracks, except they have toenails in the track- toes--cougars pull them in. I have seen some of these wolves myself, so I don't care what the 'nay-sayer- say at all..
and yes they WILL eat people, they had my sister surrounded in the bush once and she backed her way to her vehicle.. She was on the menu..
I have seen coyotes that were waaay bigger than normal, and there are no dogs to cross with, and I am thinking they are crossing with wolves.
I know back east that is happening according to DNA testing, and I think it is happening here from the size of the "coyotes"..

Read a couple articles lately stating about wolves and coyotes are interbreeding in north east areas of the US.

We have seen some of these "critters", only we are in the west, not the east..
They are waaay too big to be coyotes, with adult proportions and shape, but too small to be wolves.
]They have the heavier body, and more wolf-like head, but they are definitely not wolves.
I would almost say they look more like miniature wolves, but there were other "dogs" with them that looked more coyote --like..
I have seen enough coyotes and wolves to know the difference.
It is not uncommon to see dogs that have a lot of wolf blood in them ( talking about timber--northern wolves)
not always, but very often they have very long stilt like legs.
Wolves can run miles and miles and miles with out stopping.
A Neighbor was raising buffalo, and several were butchered and the hides were thrown over a fence. That night wolves came in and shredded the hides.
about 24-36 hours later another neighbor who has a trap line about 35-40 miles away caught a wolf. He opened it up to see what it was eating and lo- and behold there was buffalo wool in its stomach.
I know both people involved and know both areas, and in our community people often gather to chat over coffee at the local "watering holes", so news spreads fast.

Why is it I've never known anyone with a dog have coyote pups? It must happen, they always talk about the hybrids in the wild, but female dogs must be dropping coyote puppies too? Maybe people just call them mutts and you cant tell what they are.

We have some large ones on the east coast. Some killed a 20 yr old girl a few yrs back.

Latest posts