Do cows have flatulence? No, really...

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Cow

Reaction score
So, I got to thinking whilst I was attending to the poop created by the horses and one of the lovely beasties created a rather odoriferous emission, (noisy hind gut fermenters). Are cattle able to toot? It occured to me that since cattle have a quite different digestive tract, maybe they don't *fluff* at all.

Cows ferment their food in the stomachs, or foregut, and release such gases by belching, do they not? I don't recall ever hearing or smelling any such emissions from the cows, (though I usually place myself somewhere in between the horns and the rump). Now, don't get me wrong, they can create a stink with their burping, but can they, wonderous ruminants that they are, even pass gas? Or, is it possible, but just not as common as with horses, dogs, (and husbands)?

I have heard the occasional "Pffffft" from some of my cows. I have most definitely heard a few "poots" out of calves.

So I vote *yes*.

Katherine

Maybe just the overwhelming amount of gas, by comparison, produced by horses had me fooled into thinking the cows were innocent. :roll:

I'll take your word for it. No worries, no hold-a-lit-match-behind-a-cow experiments for me. :D

Yep, afraid so, they do let out gas. And, if you don't want to try the lighter experiment with them, I can tell you. It works. You know how when a cow that;s laying down gets up it almost always takes a nice crap? Well, as soon as they get up alot of times they'll let off some gas, hold the lighter back there and you'll see a blue streak of flame. :lol:

Seems especially bad with fat cattle, I know when I walk through at about 6am and stir everything up as soon as they get up and stretch it sounds like WWIII in the barn :)

BlackBaldyMan":2kqngvup said:
Seems especially bad with fat cattle, I know when I walk through at about 6am and stir everything up as soon as they get up and stretch it sounds like WWIII in the barn :)

That's all the proof I need...or really want...

Alice

Cows lose an awful lot of compression regularly.

Our own government spent something like 17 million one year doing a study of cows passing gas and the impact on the environment back in the 90's.

backhoeboogie":oqi8gzcg said:
Cows lose an awful lot of compression regularly.

Our own government spent something like 17 million one year doing a study of cows passing gas and the impact on the environment back in the 90's.

Nuh uh! :shock:

Alice

Alice":3t104l34 said:
Nuh uh! :shock:

Alice

Yah Uh! :shock:

pork barrel at its finest. There was a huge discussion on this all over the news back about 10 years ago. Other folks in this forum remember I am sure. Seems like it was in the mid-west with one of the Universities heading it up.

I am not impressed...altho, I'm not surprised that someone did not try to have it published in the ag journal I worked on. I fought like he11 to keep out the rabbit meat article...and so far, from what I understand, it hasn't appeared. Others got thru, tho, that were not at all impressive, let me assure you...Cow flatulence would have had us all rolling in the floor, and someone begging to please, please let it thru...just for grins. :lol:

Alice

Alice":p525fnf6 said:
..Cow flatulence would have had us all rolling in the floor, and someone begging to please, please let it thru...just for grins. :lol:

Alice

It was one of Al Gore's pet peaves. Methane gas and global warming caused by it from cattle.

I've seen a steer fart not only when they're taking a big stretch but when they're standing up.

I'd hate to go into detail, but the one that I seen let off a big one, and a whole pile of other "stuff" came out with the big gas letoff. It was pretty funny to see that, actually.

I even made a cow release gas when I was practicing AIing...just by moving my arm around a bit, letting off a little pfffffft here and a bit of a phtbtbtbtbtbt there. ;-)

I wonder how much Macon would charge to lock this thread?????

Getting a little too yucky!!!!

alice,

If you worked for an ag journal why would you want to keep out a rabbit meat journal? It is Ag too!

Latest posts