DIY or hire a pro?

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58":288hd8wp said:
Not everyone hits the ground running after an AI course. It is something you get a feel for over time. I would do the course asap but for the first few years hire someone to do them on timed AI and then put your new skills to work by doing the rebreeds for a cycle or two.

Ken
Actually, I would do the opposite. Try a few yourself, let AI tech catch repeats.
If tech didn't get them bred, then you try and they don't stick - was it because they are hard breeders AI or YOU?

A lot of good advice here. I took the course a year ago - three days @ $400.00. Bought a tank and all supplies after the course for $1,000.00. Then comes the semen and other supplies needed like heat detection patches, med's needed, CIDR's,etc. Yearly cost of keeping tank filled is about $150.00. The biggest thing for me was it was months later before we AI'd our first cow. I would suggest having someone help when it's time for AI. He or she can check gun placement before you deposit semen like they do in the classroom. It's a lot of work to AI and to be successful at it. But, if you're looking for better genetics then it could be very rewarding. Good luck.

Latest posts