Dixiestrong

Help Support CattleToday:

DixieStrong

Reaction score
Have two bulls that I plan on saving out of my herd and making herd bulls out of them. There're on a creep feeder. Should I let the momma cow wean them or how long before weaning them.

Two small herds of about 15 head in separate pastures. First time I've raised my own herd bulls. That's what I was thinking about 8 months old.

Two small herds of about 15 head in separate pastures. First time I've raised my own herd bulls. That's what I was thinking about 8 months old.
Are the cows bred back? 8 months does not give the cow much time to recover before the next calf, assuming they were bred back on schedule.

And welcome!!!

I'm going to try-em and see how they turn out. I'll run them thru the vets and get all there shots and check out.

Attachments

• 20210816_181733.jpg
    20210816_181733.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20210816_181712.jpg
    20210816_181712.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
Experience tells me one is ahead to market all the male calves (bulls/steers) keep heifers born in first 30 days , if any, for
a particular year and use any income from sale of extra calves to buy the very best bull one can afford. Unless you have.
enough cows to have a closed herd there is the possibility of in breeding. We can go into 'line breeding' however; that can
be quite involved for a blog format. I am not saying you can't but it is best supported by larger numbers, time and data.
A good calf from every cow on time every year is not a bad goal. I wish you a prosperous future...

Latest posts