Distllers syrup

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
I'm looking at options to supplement hay this winter for bred cows, some neighbors feed distllers syrup and seem to like it. It's only 30 mile round trip to get the stuff and last I checked it's free. Has anyone fed it and pros and cons of it. Thanks

Cows love it. It's nasty to deal with. I was getting it in 250 gallon totes and bucket feeding. It would be much better to have a more hands free system.

Cows love it. It's nasty to deal with. I was getting it in 250 gallon totes and bucket feeding. It would be much better to have a more hands free system.
I plan on buying large trough and just keeping it full. I've got a spot where I could park a trailer and have enough drop to gravity fill the tanks. How long will it last in the winter before it sours

Don't know, never had any sour in the winter. If I were going to keep feeding it I would've worked out a system like yours with enough troughs for everyone at once and limit fed daily.
I plan on buying large trough and just keeping it full. I've got a spot where I could park a trailer and have enough drop to gravity fill the tanks. How long will it last in the winter before it sours

There are some electric transfer pumps than can handle syrup, maybe not cold syrup in winter time, but might be better than buckets.

Don't know, never had any sour in the winter. If I were going to keep feeding it I would've worked out a system like yours with enough troughs for everyone at once and limit fed daily.
I've heard of it going bad in the summer, and our winters can be everything from cold to 80. I should be able to get 6-900 gallons at a time. Just don't want it to go bad.

I've heard of it going bad in the summer, and our winters can be everything from cold to 80. I should be able to get 6-900 gallons at a time. Just don't want it to go bad.
Not sure where you're at in KY, but I'm sure our weather is similar. I'm in the IL IN KY tristate area.

Any one feeding syrup now? Started trying some distillers syrup on 18 weening calves . They ate a couple hundred gallons the first week along with good hay and mineral.

Haven't for a long while now. It's cheap enough and it's like candy for the cows but a pain to deal with.

Latest posts