Syrup

Help Support CattleToday:

melking

Reaction score
I was talking to a man yesterday that told me to to feed cows some kind of syrup to encourage "browsers" rather than "grazers. Any help or ideas on this, I am clueless and I wasn't in a position to ask questions.

melking":f5129yn6 said:
I was talking to a man yesterday that told me to to feed cows some kind of syrup to encourage "browsers" rather than "grazers. Any help or ideas on this, I am clueless and I wasn't in a position to ask questions.

Yep....he's stupid. Cows are grazers. Unless of course you want to try to starve them into eating all the brush on your place and in that case goats are much more efficient.

TexasBred":2n33uor5 said:
melking":2n33uor5 said:

Yep....he's stupid. Cows are grazers. Unless of course you want to try to starve them into eating all the brush on your place and in that case goats are much more efficient.

What he said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was a study done a while back about changing cows eating habits. It was something about putting something on the weeds to make them palatable so that they would eat the weeds along with the grass.

melking":1olflleg said:
Thanks, I have since found out that he is "stupid" but I appreciate the input.

melking....a lot of folks will think this too is stupid but you can get a "rough idea" of how and what an animal eats by the shape of the mouth. Cattle have a wide blunt mouth...they graze indescriminately and cannot pick and choose what they eat really well....you'll actually see them spit out a mouthful of food at times. Now think about a goat, sheep, deer, etc....a very narrow pointed mouth which allows them to pick and choose...especially good for browsing, picking leaves and avoiding thorns etc. This is not exactly scientific but is a very good indicator of what and how various herbivores eat. Variations will usually be a last resort as in being starved.

TexasBred":20zoroy7 said:
melking":20zoroy7 said:

melking....a lot of folks will think this too is stupid but you can get a "rough idea" of how and what an animal eats by the shape of the mouth. Cattle have a wide blunt mouth...they graze indescriminately and cannot pick and choose what they eat really well....you'll actually see them spit out a mouthful of food at times. Now think about a goat, sheep, deer, etc....a very narrow pointed mouth which allows them to pick and choose...especially good for browsing, picking leaves and avoiding thorns etc. This is not exactly scientific but is a very good indicator of what and how various herbivores eat. Variations will usually be a last resort as in being starved.

That makes a lot of sense. Good observation. :tiphat:

TexasBred":1b2wrovb said:
melking":1b2wrovb said:

back when i had purebred brahman,, they would eat like a goat