Distillers spent grain

Help Support CattleToday:

jrn28

Reaction score
My neighbor asked me if I wanted to buy some, I am interested but had a few questions.
I would be buying by 250 gallon tote and wanted to know how to store it and how long before it goes bad?
Also any real health issues with feeding it?
Is 4.60 a cwt a good price?
Any comments or experiences are apreciated!

jrn28":16p9pr4i said:
My neighbor asked me if I wanted to buy some, I am interested but had a few questions.
I would be buying by 250 gallon tote and wanted to know how to store it and how long before it goes bad?
Also any real health issues with feeding it?
Is 4.60 a cwt a good price?
Any comments or experiences are apreciated!
Sure it's distillers or is it wet brewers grain from the Miller Brewery south of Ft. Worth?

jrn28":374jqune said:
Just called him, he said its hops. So I guess it's the brewers grain. Didn't say where he got it.
Been years since I fed any so am not up to date on current prices but it's a good product. it will turn a bit moldy after a few days but I still fed it to dairy cattle. You just have to remember it's very high moisture so you'll have to feed more of it. Sort of like slopping the hogs. ;-) But they'll loveit.

I feed a truck load of brewers grain per month during the winter. Amount varies between 21 and 24 tons per truck. It costs us $55 per ton delivered plus the cost of the bag.
Our cows and calves love it. Two or three cows had to adjust to the texture. It is damp, about like oat mill. I feed it in a creep self feeder to the calves, just have to unlodge it with a stick once a day.
For the cows I feed a loader bucket per day, dump it into regular troughs spread out in the pasture. Brewers grain is @ 30% protein.
It does not store well during the summer. Those I know who feed it during the summer pay no attention to the edges that ferment. Cows eat it just as well.
Most cost efficient feed I have found and it keeps the rumen going.

Latest posts