Disc plow

Help Support CattleToday:

Tony73

Reaction score
Best pattern using a tandem disc plow?

I have plowed about 40 acres (4 different fields). The fields broke up nicley but they do not look so great (ruts and not level). I used a clockwise pattern working my way from the outside in. This is probably not the best pattern to use.?

We are getting ready to plant milett on half (for grazing) and hay grazer to bail.

Last edited:
The pattern is probably not as important as having some thing to drag behind it. I personally use an I beam but they make actual drag harrows. You can make drags out of tires, chains, pipes, and other things.

If you have big clods that wont bust up in needs rain then to be dragged again.

I rarely pull a disk with out a drag any more.

Last edited:
If you only made one pass like that it can be a little rough. Cutting it one way, then cross cutting it the opposite way helps. I usually reserve the pattern you mentioned for the last pass because that is the way the hay man runs to cut. I would make your last pass the same route you will plant and cut so you are traveling with "the grain" as you do both.

If you only made one pass like that it can be a little rough. Cutting it one way, then cross cutting it the opposite way helps. I usually reserve the pattern you mentioned for the last pass because that is the way the hay man runs to cut. I would make your last pass the same route you will plant and cut so you are traveling with "the grain" as you do both.
Thank you sir.

The pattern is probably not as important as having some thing to drag behind it. I personally use an I beam but they make actual drag harrows. You can make drags out of tires, chains, pipes, and other things.

If you have big clods that wont bust up in needs rain then to be dragged again.

I rarely pull a disk with out a drag any more
Clogs busted up pretty good.

Our drag kept getting way to much dirt and would bog the tractor down. Got stuck 3 times. After the 3rd time I removed it. My thought was to run the drag only this next weekend to smooth things out before planting.

I'll admit this is my 2nd time to plow. Last fall was my first. I'm green as they come.

Fence is right. Not sure if your disk is a pull type or 3pt but they have clips that go on the hydraulic cylinder if it's a pull type to hold it up from going too deep. That last pass you can set it just enough to cover your tire tracks and run it with your drag where ever to make it pretty.

My I beam will do the same if the dirt gets too loose. I usually switch to a cattle pannel or hopefully a tire drag if I finish it at that point. Letting it pack for a week or get a little rain will help like you said also.

I have a field disked up from a couple weeks ago. It got a little moisture to help pack it in. It was a little too soft and I didnt drag it slick yet. I'll go back now and drag a cattle pannel or some thing of that nature to slick it off. Hoping to plant some seed here next week but it's a real shallow planting debth so I want it pretty firm.

If its a flat field, next year try to disc it in the winter and let the rain do its work. Then in the early spring fluff it up using Fence's method. Don't do this if you have erosion issues.

Fence is right. Not sure if your disk is a pull type or 3pt but they have clips that go on the hydraulic cylinder if it's a pull type to hold it up from going too deep. That last pass you can set it just enough to cover your tire tracks and run it with your drag where ever to make it pretty.

My I beam will do the same if the dirt gets too loose. I usually switch to a cattle pannel or hopefully a tire drag if I finish it at that point. Letting it pack for a week or get a little rain will help like you said also.

I have a field disked up from a couple weeks ago. It got a little moisture to help pack it in. It was a little too soft and I didnt drag it slick yet. I'll go back now and drag a cattle pannel or some thing of that nature to slick it off. Hoping to plant some seed here next week but it's a real shallow planting debth so I want it pretty firm.
Great info. We do have rain coming mid week. Hopefully it will be dry enough this weekend to clean it up. Thanks.

I just did a 4Ha (10 acre) paddock yesterday with my small set of trailed offset discs. The soil is very soft sandy loam, I go clockwise. It leaves a deep furrow on the right hand side of the plowed strip but by going clockwise the next time round it pushes dirt to fill that furrow somewhat. When I turn at tight corners I do loop but in the anti clockwise direction which goes in the natural direction of the offset and pushes up minimal soil. Today I will go over it with a 28 tyne cultivator which will leave a nice smooth seed bed ready to plant some forage barley tomorrow.

Ken

I just did a 4Ha (10 acre) paddock yesterday with my small set of trailed offset discs. The soil is very soft sandy loam, I go clockwise. It leaves a deep furrow on the right hand side of the plowed strip but by going clockwise the next time round it pushes dirt to fill that furrow somewhat. When I turn at tight corners I do loop but in the anti clockwise direction which goes in the natural direction of the offset and pushes up minimal soil. Today I will go over it with a 28 tyne cultivator which will leave a nice smooth seed bed ready to plant some forage barley tomorrow.

Ken
It depends on which side of the double offset disc you have which direction you can go. :)

Clogs busted up pretty good.

Our drag kept getting way to much dirt and would bog the tractor down. Got stuck 3 times. After the 3rd time I removed it. My thought was to run the drag only this next weekend to smooth things out before planting.

I'll admit this is my 2nd time to plow. Last fall was my first. I'm green as they come.
A harrow is the best friend a farmer can have. There is an article in Small Farmers Journal explaining why and how a Harrow is used. I am talking about a spike tooth harrow.

Here is a short article on a harrow it does not go as far as I remember, but it was easily found. https://www.farmcollector.com/looking-back/history-of-the-harrow-zb0z1703zhur/
They probably do the best job I have seen. Being able to adjust the spikes up and down is handy. They have gotten pretty pricey though.

One day I'll get one with the hyd wheels and bat wings so can can just pull it around behind you.😄 Ours has all the 5' sections you chain behind a pipe. Works good but can be a pain to move.

Latest posts