Disc Mowers

Help Support CattleToday:

i think krone is the best mower.we ran 1 for 7yrs an didnt have any probs with it.only thing we had a prob with was forgetting to loosen the slip clutch bolts off.when it wasnt in use.an the slipp clutch would stick.have to make sure its loose an turning fore you fire it up.i gave $7000 for it new back in late 90s.needs tobe on an 80hp tractor.

bigbull338":14uxc48f said:
i think krone is the best mower.we ran 1 for 7yrs an didnt have any probs with it.only thing we had a prob with was forgetting to loosen the slip clutch bolts off.when it wasnt in use.an the slipp clutch would stick.have to make sure its loose an turning fore you fire it up.i gave $7000 for it new back in late 90s.needs tobe on an 80hp tractor.

I am still runing a Krone good mowers, I really don't believe there is that much difference in the brands.
It is more important to have a local dealer that carries parts for what ever you buy.

I don't know much about them,guy down the road has one he lets me use when I need to mow somewhere I can't get my haybine thru and I like it.The thing is the grass I cut w/haybine comes back faster than grass cut w/disc mower.I'm not sure if the disc mower cuts closer to the ground or what? Back when I lived in Ohio lots of Dairy guys had disc moco's but they claimed they could get an extra cutting with the use of a haybine?

the reason they say that is because using a haybine they cut at 5 or 6 in hight.an thats because if they go any lower an hitt rocks.they knock out a bunch of sections on the sicklebar.an have to stop an replace them.a disc cutter cuts the field alot cleaner.

If you put a sicklebar mower and a discmower side by side and both are properly sharpened/working, the shearing type cut of a sickle mower lets the grass come back faster. Not much, but a little bit. Once a disc mower gets dull, it kind beats the grass off and leaves a tattered end. That is when the grass really slows down coming back. I still prefer a disc mower of any kind 10 to one over a sickle mower. No more looking back all day to check for wads.

disc mower blades need tobe turned over every 40acs.if they are chipped or broke new blades need tobe put on.we could usually cut 80acs with a set of blades before we put new blades on.

bigbull338":20ik04oz said:
disc mower blades need tobe turned over every 40acs.if they are chipped or broke new blades need tobe put on.we could usually cut 80acs with a set of blades before we put new blades on.

How much are blades?

Gail

GMN":3vjbpwni said:
bigbull338":3vjbpwni said:

How much are blades?

Gail

The last ones I bought were a buck 65 each

I am currently using a Bush Hog Brand disc mower and it does a fine job. My favorite had there been a dealer near would have been Vicon though. The Vicon uses a tri-blade system. Three blades on each disc (at least they used to). Boy what a sweet cut and fast.

Ours is a Kuhn. Has done us a good job and as CB said there is a dealer not too far down the road for parts if needed.

One more must have for me is a mower that I can flip the blades over and use the other side. The one before this one I couldn't flip the blades.

We are running a Deere 956. Will never go back to a sickle. Just make sure your fields are clean taking out a hub is not cheap.

Jeff

dyates":1dv8ob6k said:
If you put a sicklebar mower and a discmower side by side and both are properly sharpened/working, the shearing type cut of a sickle mower lets the grass come back faster. Not much, but a little bit. Once a disc mower gets dull, it kind beats the grass off and leaves a tattered end. That is when the grass really slows down coming back. I still prefer a disc mower of any kind 10 to one over a sickle mower. No more looking back all day to check for wads.

Nah ! grass grows from the crown down at ground level upwards like your hair so how the grass end is is not gonna affect it.

Latest posts