Dillers

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Ok......the armadillo is getting closer. I saw a roadkill diller about 2 miles from the house. As far as I know we have never had any this far east in Tennessee though west Tennessee has their share. What can I expect.....harmless critters or hole digging, pasture destroyers? Should I shoot on site of just leave them alone and they will make a point of making themselves road kill like a possum?

they really tear up pastures and yards around here. and they dig alot of holes of deep holes (12" to 24") in most cases. one of my cousins had his yard being torn up so he rigged a motion light to a radio in his bed room . he has killed up 13 in one night. I suggest you feed the buzzards. and don't get me started trying to deer hunt and @#%$#%$7 possum on the half shell rooting around under your stand.

They go for the moist "watered" yards, and their primary source of food is insects in the form of grub worms. Kill the grubs out of your yard and they go elsewhere. My experience is they "root" down 2-4 inches, very narrow area then move to the next hole. They are a nuisance and can cause damage to your lawn and pasture but unless there's a bunch of them I let them be.

jwggriff":2vrpuskp said:
They go for the moist "watered" yards, and their primary source of food is insects in the form of grub worms. Kill the grubs out of your yard and they go elsewhere. My experience is they "root" down 2-4 inches, very narrow area then move to the next hole. They are a nuisance and can cause damage to your lawn and pasture but unless there's a bunch of them I let them be.
Got that right....water your lawn during dry weather and they'll find it and have a ball in it. Really don't do that much damage in pastures tho they will have to dig a burrow somewhere but that's usually in the woods somewhere. You can't trap them, you can't poison them....you either have to shoot'em or run over'em. They can't see much but can hear a mouse pee on a bale of cotton.

They like eating worms. Get a bunch, put them in some panty hose. Tie it off
And put in a trap. guy I know trapped dillos for 23 days straight doin that.
They dig holes up to 10"deep here. Enough so tht I worry about a calf hitting a hole and hurting itself.

if you got dillers youll be killing emm if you see emm.they love to digg holes in yards an foundations.

If it is any consolation, they'll eat fire ants. They migrated into Texas in the late 1800's and have been headed your way ever since.

2 things to remember about them is shoot them higher then you think you should and they'll start to rot and STINK fast.

What damages my lawn more than anything is moles. Moles like to eat the mole crickets and grubs like armadillos. Have learned not to fertilize the yard very often if ever. This drops the number of mole crickets and grubs and gives these others no reason to root up the yard.

Latest posts