didn't see it posted. USDA bans Brazil beef

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 5, 2012
Messages
26,111
Reaction score
12,506
Location
Copperas Cove Tx
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN19D2VE

The United States halted imports of fresh Brazilian beef on Thursday, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) said, after a high percentage of shipments failed to pass safety checks.

The USDA had "recurring concerns about the safety of the products intended for the American market," after increasing tests on Brazilian beef in March, according to a statement.

The agency raised scrutiny on Brazilian beef and ready-to-eat products as a precaution following an investigation into corruption involving Brazil's health inspectors that targeted meat companies JBS SA (JBSS3.SA) and BRF SA (BRFS3.SA).

JBS, the world's largest meat packer, declined to comment on the U.S. ban.

The USDA's action threatens the reputation of meat from Brazil, the world's top exporter of beef and poultry, even though the United States is not a top customer. It also could boost domestic sales in the United States.

"Product was already on the water and that's not going to be allowed in," Altin Kalo, a U.S. livestock analyst at Steiner Consulting Group, said about shipments headed to the United States from Brazil via boat.

Since March, the USDA has rejected 11 percent of Brazilian fresh beef products, compared to the rejection rate of 1 percent for shipments from the rest of the world, the agency said. The shipments, totaling about 1.9 million pounds, raised concerns about public health, animal health and sanitation, according to the USDA.

The agency said none of the rejected lots made it into the U.S. market.

The move to block Brazilian meat is a turnaround for Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue, who warned in March that Brazil might retaliate if the United States halted beef imports.

On Thursday, he said in a statement that "although international trade is an important part of what we do at USDA, and Brazil has long been one of our partners, my first priority is to protect American consumers."
 
sh!ts turning around now boys.. Trump in office and everything is moving toward order.. not chaos.

China buying us up.. Japan bought 40% more meat, Brazil is buying it up..etc...etc..

now we don't have to kill all of our cattle becaue they got foot and mouth.. thats pretty good news!! :bang:


future looks good
 
Very happy to see it. Glad they are paying attention to what's coming in. As I posted on another site I wish this was actually on the news so people would understand cheap imported beef is sketchy and push for our own us raised beef. They say we raise the best and the safest, by all means that's the only thing that should be sold in the us. But..... We know how the news works and I'm sure it'll never make it to tv and if it does it'll be a 30 second clip. Fake news is way more important! :deadhorse:
 
All they have to do is pay the right people and they will lift the ban.
To many big fast food chains relying on cheap ground beef for the ban to last very long
 
Cross-7":2ks1cgrf said:
Too many big fast food chains relying on cheap ground beef for the ban to last very long
I might be mistaken, but I was thinking this only applied to the Brazilian Beef covered in Obama's executive order
of August 2016 allowing Brazil to start shipping fresh beef. Big fast food chains made it through the peak prices
2-3 years ago without their fresh beef and for 50+ years before, so I don't see it as a game changer for fast food.
 
Son of Butch":2w3gm304 said:
Cross-7":2w3gm304 said:
Too many big fast food chains relying on cheap ground beef for the ban to last very long
I might be mistaken, but I was thinking this only applied to the Brazilian Beef covered in Obama's executive order
of August 2016 allowing Brazil to start shipping fresh beef. Big fast food chains made it through the peak prices
2-3 years ago without their fresh beef and for 50+ years before, so I don't see it as a game changer for fast food.

The crap McDonald's served wasn't 100% beef. It was diluted down.
The slogan now is fresh beef never frozen.
Sounds familiar doesn't it
 
Son of Butch":19jg5l9a said:
You deserve a break today.

Seriously not trying to be argumentative. ( not my style)
If there is something I'm missing or misinformed on I'd like to hear it.
 
"You deserve a break today" - you know... McDonald's all time longest running slogan - "You deserve a break today"

Fresh never Frozen is a fad slogan... I'm betting it'll be changed
 
Best looking picture of a quarter-pounder I've seen.
Appears only available in test markets and no changes had been planned from frozen for Big Macs or cheeseburgers.
Bet they already had a plan B if the fresh beef quarter-pounder failed in test markets.

Once upon a time McDonald's test marketed my uncle's chili...
Only a hit in the Chicago market for 1 winter and never went nation wide. :(
It didn't do well in Texas or Ohio, although it's still available in the frozen food section in many regional grocery stores.
 
Son of Butch":ezmbk55a said:
"You deserve a break today" - you know... McDonald's all time longest running slogan - "You deserve a break today"

Fresh never Frozen is a fad slogan... I'm betting it'll be changed

That is Wendy's slogan.
 
wbvs58":2efevwxz said:
The ban can't do any harm to Australia's prospects for beef into the US. That's where my cull cows go to.

Ken
Yep, and prices from last week around here looked pretty good... 5wt steers were $2.25 CAD
 
Son of Butch":222cutgk said:
Best looking picture of a quarter-pounder I've seen.
Appears only available in test markets and no changes had been planned from frozen for Big Macs or cheeseburgers.
Bet they already had a plan B if the fresh beef quarter-pounder failed in test markets.

Once upon a time McDonald's test marketed my uncle's chili...
Only a hit in the Chicago market for 1 winter and never went nation wide. :(
It didn't do well in Texas or Ohio, although it's still available in the frozen food section in many regional grocery stores.


if you look at them advertising "FRESH BEEF NEVER FROZEN" and "100% beef" ads.. it says "for a limited time" and "in select markets only"

they are just trying to trick the market into thinking its always fresh beef and actually real beef. everyone shoving it down will be like.. OH ITS ALL BEEF NOW!! I LOVE IT!@
 

Latest posts

Top