diamondscattleco-Rod

Help Support CattleToday:

ND

Reaction score
I have a 2001 dodge 3500 with cummins, a little less than 75,000 miles. I haven't driven it much lately due to the 3.29 per gallon fuel but I took it about 60 miles pulling an empty trailer. I then loaded it, went up a few hills then on one of the hills blue smoke and chug, chug, chug. I pulled into a small station, popped the hood and opened the air filter compartment and (pretty embarrassed) it was full of a mouse nest. Luckily they just happened to have one. I then went the rest of the way home 45 miles loaded no problems. I used it a few more times and had no problems. My dad used it one day and he said it acted up. I replaced the fuel filter today and then loaded the trailer up and got 1/2 mile down the road, blue smoke and chug, chug ,chug. It seems like this happens in about 3rd or 4th gear only pulling a heavy load. Any suggestions, did I do some damage with that mouse nest? sorry for novel Thank you.

Since Rod must be busy and hasn't responded I will take a shot at this.

Seems a buddy of mine took of with a 24 foot stock trailer from Fla heading to Texas. He got up in the panhandle area and truck started acting like yours is. He did the same things you have done. Turns out it was the fuel pump located inside the fuel tank. Seems it happens quite often with the Dodge according to the dealer. I am not familiar with your truck but it might be worth putting a fuel pressure gauge on or having it tested IF you even have one in the tank.

Thanks for the reply, flaboy. I will look into it.

It seems the transfer pump sometimes throws an error but normal code reading with the ignition key-switch doesn't pull it. Have someone put a code reader on it and look for "transfer pump voltage out of tolerance" error. This error was in his truck but only a code reader would pull it.

Some folks working for Dodge didn't even know there was a transfer pump in the tank. The official manual also says "the lift pump is right next to the fuel filter canister" which on this truck it wasn't.

Wouldn't hurt just to put a code reader on your truck just to see if it is throwing any codes.

thanks, I was thinking of putting a reader on it but wasn't sure it would throw any codes as the check engine light has never been on.

ND":219yoifo said:
thanks, I was thinking of putting a reader on it but wasn't sure it would throw any codes as the check engine light has never been on.

I talked to my buddy, he said his never came on either. I guess they don't want you to know you have a problem. Actually I think the check engine light only comes on for certain codes, not all of them.

ND, sorry I've been away. Had a power surge on the ranch that blew out my modem and left me without internet until today. I'll be back in a few hours and leave you some thoughts as the installer is waiting for me.

A 2001 CTD does have a tranfer pump but it is mounted on the side of the block under the fuel filter. Take it off and thow it away, even when they are good they are junk. Worst thing is they go out then your injection pump is starved and it goes out. Transfer pump is a few hundeered $$, injection pump is a few thousand $$. Get a BD, or Fass or any good aftermarket pump that mounts down on the frame rail and save yourself a lot of headaches and money.

I have put one of these on a friends truck but there are several different kits available if you look around, just stay away from the stock pump!

http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.asp?P ... ProdID=894

Ok, back to you again.

If your truck hasn't had the change up done, your filter pump will be on the side of the engine, right below the fuel filter canister. It sounds like your pump is getting weak, so I'd do a pressure test ASAP. You want to see 7 - 8 PSI minimum at idle. If you take it to a Dodge dealer for the pressure, tell them you want a PRESSURE test done, not their BS volume test that they do. Its worthless.

If your pressure is weak, replace it with a stock style pump (asssuming you are at stock power), then buy some high flow banjo bolts (5 in the system) from Geno's garage. This is ALL you will need to keep your pump in good shape for a hundred thousand miles or so.

Thanks alot. I was getting more concerned about your internet than my pick-up. just kidding. nice to have a reliable mechanic on the board.

i have an 02 basically the same truck. if you find you must replace the fuel pump the stock one will work but i would also have them install the low press kit that comes with the new pump.it is just a light very small to warn you of low fuel press.
the dealer will not want to put a pump back on the engine. they will want to convert it to dodges new fix which is an in tank pump. really it will probly werk okay. lots of em out there. i put a holley red pump inline right close to the tank and left the stock pump on as a helper. i have all kinds of upgrades on my truck and this setup keeps everything happy w/12 psi wide open. fass/walbro. all have their place but very expensive to buy and keep.

the cummins forum has a lot of good info on this topic as well as diesel truck rescource boards. well worth the read.

did anyone mention the fuel filter or water drain out the btm of the canister. sittin will make condesation in the tank and will give you some symptoms close to what yer havin

key on/off 3 tims and read yer code in the odometer window. on/off on/off on/off leave on read codes. without starting truck in this process. i can give you the readin for the code number

Latest posts