Diagnosis: foot problem

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I purchased this 18 month old bull. When I got him home, I noticed his feet were unusual. Look at the pictures and tell me what is going on. He walks fine. Performs fine, but this don't look right!

IMG_11271.JPG

IMG_1128.JPG

If that's a breeding bull send him straight back.

Possibly not his fault (genetics) if that's the result of untreated footrot; the photos haven't loaded properly but it could also be a tyloma further up than normal and I don't like the angle of his claws. How long do you suppose he'll walk well for once he starts working?

Thanks regolith. I thought it was a lingering case of footrot. I am going to administer LA 200 today and put on a topical. I am disappointed to introduce this to my farm. I have not had footrot. I was reading about it and it sure looks like that is what I have. I was late getting a bull. By this time what the bull producers have is picked over. The better ones don"t have any bulls left. I was planning on using a friends bull who wanted to put him out to someone for the year, then he leased his farm and the guy who leased the farm wanted the bull. So I was scrabbling at the last minute to find a bull.

inyati13":iil9sbdb said:
Thanks regolith. I thought it was a lingering case of footrot. I am going to administer LA 200 today and put on a topical. I am disappointed to introduce this to my farm. I have not had footrot. I was reading about it and it sure looks like that is what I have. I was late getting a bull. By this time what the bull producers have is picked over. The better ones don"t have any bulls left. I was planning on using a friends bull who wanted to put him out to someone for the year, then he leased his farm and the guy who leased the farm wanted the bull. So I was scrabbling at the last minute to find a bull.

I too would take him back. How many cows do you have? If you have means to AI this year, I would do that instead of having a piss poor bull breeding my cows.

You paid good money for a breeding bull. This bull will not be breeding much nor will he be around long enough to recoupe the costs. Send the bull back, get your money and then find another. Might take some extra time but get 'er done. The longer you wait to make the call, the less likely you would be able to prove this was like this on delivery without a vet signing off on it.
Foot rot has alot to do with moisture in the ground pushing the spores to the top as well as lack of iodine. It is always there, just a matter of when

I think that's two different feet in the pics, Ken.
I've seen footrot break out right there a few times, but never looking like that... it's kind of following logic that maybe if it wasn't treated the lesion would dry up and not disappear like it normally does.

I have discussed the problem with the breeder. He was nice about the situation but we did not get to discussing returning the bull. He does not believe he has footrot. He said it has never occurred on the farm and hopes I am wrong. He is 65 years old and his father who is deceased raised angus cattle there before him. There is a stream that is as big as most rivers that forms part of the boundary of the farm. He said there is ledge rock along the banks and as it breaks up it forms sharp plates. The cattle go there to drink and as their feet enter the mud at the stream edge, the plates cut them between the toes. He said he had a mature bull cut one toe completely off when it started fighting with another bull among the ledge rock. He has built watering stations in each pasture and the water is now pumped from the creek to each station. Only one foot has that ring structure. That is the front right foot (bull's right foot). The bull's rear left foot is OK. I got the bull in the squeeze chute and examined the feet. There is no odor what so ever. I tried to do a little trimming on his right front foot but the structure is as hard as leather. I gave up. I administered 54 ml of LA 200 at 5 different locations subcutaneously in the neck as a precaution. It still looks to me like it was the result of footrot. The breeder said he never saw this bull or any of that lot of bulls limping and he does not limp in the least bit now. This may just be scars and corns resulting from chronic exposure to cuts between the toes. I also mentioned the one claw that is on the left front foot. He said he has had cattle for years that have a gene for bad claws and he has worked hard to eliminate it. He said he would check this bull's mother to see if there is a note on her feet. He did not remember the cow but said he knows the sire has good feet. It is extremely dry here and the ground is hard. I have clay based soils and there is no area where the bull can get into mud unless it rains. I think I am going to hold him through the winter and watch him. He is a well behaving bull and will not have any hard work to cover the small herd I have him on. I don't quit on an animal very easily. Just part of my nature even though it may be bad business.

Latest posts