dextrose?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
All right. Can someone explain this to me?

DEXTROSE SOLUTION 50%
Phoenix Pharmaceutical

Indications: For use as an aid in the treatment of acetonemia (Ketosis) in cattle.

Dosage and Administration: For intravenous administration only.
Intravenous administration must be made slowly and under strict aseptic conditions. Solution should be warmed to body temperature prior to administration.

Caution(s): Do not administer intraperitoneally.

OK, so that one says IV only, and do not administer IP. Now compare it to this one, same stuff, also 50% dextrose...

DEXTROSE 50%
Durvet
Sterile Solution
For Treatment of Uncomplicated Ketosis in Cattle

Indications: Dextrose 50% is indicated for the treatment of uncomplicated ketosis in cattle.

Dosage and Administration: The usual dose is 50 mL per 100 lbs. of body weight. It may be injected intravenously, intramuscularly, intraperitoneally or subcutaneously. May be repeated in 8 to 10 hours or on successive days. If administered intramuscularly or subcutaneously, the dose should be divided among several locations and the point of injection massaged to aid in absorption.

Is it or is it not OK to give IP, IM, and/or SubQ? And why or why not? I know this stuff doesn't have a withdrawal time, so that can't be a reason for the label.

And while I'm asking questions about dextrose...what's the pH of this solution?

All I can think of is maybe the one is really a sterile solution as described and the other is not sterile, maybe made with tap water rather then sterile water.

dun

There is some concern about dextrose...ie: sugar granulating once injected subQ, or so I am told.

You have me stumped about the confusion in labels.

I am still waiting for a reply regarding same from my vet....

Just a shot in the dark, but could it have anything to do with the stage the ketosis is in? I noticed the second one specifically stated for the treatment of uncomplicated ketosis and the first one did not. Like I said, just a guess.

OK, I have an answer. Saw my vet last night and took the opportunity to ask him. He says...

The reason for the labeling is related to what each individual drug company received for FDA approval. No more. Now the method of administration. He said 50% dextrose is hypertonic, so giving it IV is best. It...well, if you give it SubQ or IM, for some reason or another causes the surrounding cells to die. And then because the cow's system is trying to clean up the area of dead tissue, it tends to abcess. Obviously then, SubQ or IM is not going to be a preferred route. (And along those lines, if you have to go subQ or IM, it should be diluted to 5%.) He said IP is slightly better as there's more space for the dextrose to...something...but IV is still the best route.

Can't remember all the terms, but that was the general gist of it. Thought maybe the rest of you would be interested in hearing the answer. ;-)